This job is no longer available
The successful candidate for this position will join the Structures Lab. The Structures Lab is responsible for structural design, analysis and development of mechanical systems with significant thermal and mechanical stressors, multiple materials sets with widely varying properties and pioneering new optimization techniques for all GE. Essential responsibilities include designing novel structures and analyzing and validating the performance of those structures. Applications include turbo machinery, electrical machinery, subsea exploration equipment, energy generation and storage devices, composite-metal assemblies and similar mechanical systems.You will:
- Lead aero, thermal, electrical and structural engineers at Global Research and in the GE business units in the conceptual design and analysis of new structures.
- Identify critical emerging technologies that enable high-performance structures from internal and external sources. Create proposals that link the development of these novel technologies to a sound business case.
- Serve as a technical expert with ability to respond to short-term technical issues
- Build relationships with technical counterparts at the GE businesses and communicate the status and merits of technologies under development
- Perform conceptual design of novel mechanical systems subject to complex loading conditions, environmental stressors and constraints
- Define analysis requirements using proprietary and commercial FEA solvers, analysis systems and databases to predict the response of these mechanical systems
- Guide the definition, procurement, build-up and testing of prototype mechanical systems plus the rigorous comparison of design predictions to experimental data
- Doctorate degree in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering or Applied Mechanics with concentration in structural design and analysis with at least 7 years of industrial experience OR Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering or Applied Mechanics with concentration in structural design and analysis with at least 11 years of industrial experience
- Strong ability with commercial CAD and FEA packages such as Unigraphics and ANSYS
- Experience with product design constraints, manufacturing techniques and material processing selections in turbomachinery, electrical machines, or large-scale mechanical or electrical systems
- Strong understanding of manufacturing processes and costs and their impact on design considerations
- Ability to coordinate the fabrication and testing of prototypes using both in-house technical resources and outside vendors
- Self-starter with the ability to guide the development of mechanical technology in a multi-disciplinary design environment
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals at the Masters level for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening.
- Must be willing to work out of an office located in Niskayuna, NY.
- Must be willing to take a drug test and submit to a background investigation as part of the selection process.
- Must be 18 years or older.
- You must submit your application for employment on the careers page at www.gecareers.com to be considered.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications:
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen.
- In-depth knowledge of gas turbines and/or experience in gas turbine design
- Knowledge and/or experience in offshore technologies
- Knowledge of material mechanics of high temperature materials and of thermal transient behavior of materials and systems
- Familiarity with structural optimization methods and Design of Experiments as it applies to structural systems.
- Demonstrated interpersonal, leadership and communication skills in a global team environment.