This job is no longer available
As a Lead Composite Engineer, you will be responsible for maturation of novel composite manufacturing processes -- from fundamental research and development through commercialization via. GE's various businesses such as Aviation, Energy, Oil & Gas, and Healthcare. You will use analytical tools and apply experimental methods to develop manufacturing processes for various GE products including but not limited to Civil and Military Jet Engines, Gas Turbines, and Wind Turbines. You will work on material and process development for both polymer matrix (PMC) and ceramic matrix (CMC) composites; and collaborate closely with both internal and external GE partners/customers worldwide to meet desired project goals.
Develop and apply composite material processing methods; process modeling tools such as COMSOL, Compro, PAM-RTM, etc; and experimental techniques to ensure successful introduction of next generation composite products in a highly competitive market.
- Perform hands-on experiments.
- Develop manufacturing processes for new and existing composite materials (PMCs and CMCs) in a lab and production relevant environment.
- Utilize process modeling tools such as COMPRO, Comsol, Matlab, PAM-RTM, Fluent etc to develop analytical models for various composite processing techniques.
- Perform analysis/test correlation
- Collaborate with GE's internal product departments, global R&D sites, external and internal material developers, strategic suppliers, and universities.
- Use your engineering expertise to develop correlations between various material processing methods and resulting properties.
- PhD in mechanical engineering, engineering mechanics, or materials science/engineering, with a strong background in composite. Or a MS in mechanical engineering, engineering mechanics, or materials science/engineering, with a strong background in composite and 3 years of experience.
- Experience with at least one of the following composite manufacturing methods: open molding, vacuum bag molding, compression molding, autoclave molding, resin transfer molding (RTM)
- Demonstrated experience with composite manufacturing of prototype or production level component
- Candidate must be willing to travel 3 weeks per year
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening.
- Must be willing to work out of an office located in Niskayuna, NY.
- Must be willing to take a drug test and submit to a background investigation as part of the selection process.
- Must be 18 years or older.
- You must submit your application for employment on the careers page at www.gecareers.com to be considered.
- Familiar with continuous improvement in material systems and analysis tools are a plus
- Strong knowledge of various composite manufacturing methods: open molding, vacuum bag molding, compression molding, autoclave molding, resin transfer molding (RTM)
- Previous experience with CFD or process modeling tools like PAM-RTM, Fluent, COMSOL are a plus
- Controls knowledge is a plus
- Ability to work across all functions/levels as part of a team