This job is no longer available
You will lead teams that conceptualize, develop and evaluate low emissions combustion technologies for GE's aircraft engines, land-based gas turbines, and reciprocating engines. Your responsibilities will include developing and validating state-of-the-art design methodologies for computational combustion. You will also be expected to provide regular mentoring and coaching of less-experienced engineers.As a Principal Engineer: Computational Combustion, you will:
- Provide senior technical expertise and vision in the field of Combustion Technology and Systems;
- Participate in identifying, planning, and developing conceptual designs for combustion experiments;
- Guide and implement experiments to acquire high-quality, state-of-the-art combustion data;
- Develop new combustion design methodologies;
- Model combustion systems using commercial engineering analysis tools, or by developing state-of-the-art computational combustion methods;
- Validate analytical and numerical models using experimental data;
- Build customer relationships and engage with them on technology development activities;
- Influence customer technical direction;
- Collaborate with the GE Businesses to implement inventions and improvements;
- Provide technical consulting, coaching, and mentoring for early-career scientists & engineers.
- Doctorate in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or related disciplines with at least 8 years of relevant experience.
- In-depth knowledge of combustion, thermodynamics, fluid mechanics and reaction chemistry.
- Industrial background developing and validating engineering simulation/analysis tools.
- Strong strategic focus & influence to drive organization technologies.
- Demonstrated ability to investigate, model and provide critical insight into complex physical phenomena relating to Combustion Science.
- Demonstrated project leadership experience, including successful track record of completing deliverables on schedule and under budget.
- Experience in driving new concepts from design to analysis to validation via prototype testing.
- Knowledge and proficiency in Combustion CFD, LES Modeling, Programming (Fortran, C/ C ), and experience with High Performance Computing systems.
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening.
- Must be willing to work out of an office located in Niskayuna, NY.
- Must be willing to take a drug test and submit to a background investigation as part of the selection process.
- Must be 18 years or older.
- You must submit your application for employment on the careers page at www.gecareers.com to be considered.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications:
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen.
- At least 15 years of experience in combustion R&D
- Previous experience in gas turbine and reciprocating engine combustion, including: fuel/air premixing systems, autoignition, flame propagation in complex fuel mixtures, combustion kinetics & chemistry, thermo-acoustic instabilities (combustion dynamics), design and evaluation of new combustion systems, pulse detonation, fuel injection, and modeling of combustion systems.
- Strong record of peer reviewed journal publications.
- International reputation in the combustion research community.
- Clear evidence of innovation and creativity.
- Excellent work ethic, capable of working well in broad areas with diverse teams.
- Experience working in teams and creating innovative technology solutions.
- Significant experience with development or application of state-of-the-art, large-scale CFD codes and supporting methodologies.
- Expertise in Design for Six Sigma (DFSS) methods, experience in optimization, probabilistic design
- Exceptional passion for science and technology.
- Six Sigma Greenbelt Certification.
- Strong environmental, health and safety ethics & play an active role in creating culture of safety.