This job is no longer available
You will work with a multidisciplinary team of scientists to develop and implement novel thermal analytical techniques to characterize complex organic and inorganic materials in order to develop new products or advance existing products or processes at GE.As part of a multidisciplinary team, you will:
- Lead thermal analysis capability within characterization organization.
- Develop and/or implement new thermal analytical methods for characterization of complex organic and inorganic materials.
- Participate in research programs at GE Global Research that require thermal characterization expertise.
- Effectively communicate to other researchers at GRC and the GE businesses to provide consultation, written reports, and verbal presentations describing methods, analytical data, and interpretation of results.
- Collaborate with the larger team of experts using other characterization techniques to provide solutions for GE businesses.
- Maintain and provide support for the analytical instrumentation in the lab.
- Doctorate degree in chemistry, material science or related discipline with at least 10 years post-degree experience (with at least 7 years of experience in thermal methods of analysis.)
- Extensive experience in thermal methods of analysis must include training, education, and hands on lab experience in applications of thermal analysis methodology.
- Demonstrated leadership skills in developing, aligning with project needs, and expanding thermal analysis capabilities where appropriate.
- Demonstrated experience working in a chemical or materials laboratory and conducting critical experiments.
- Demonstrated ability to independently carry out experimental or analytical methods
- Strong analytical, experimental, failure analysis and problem solving skills.
- Knowledge of instrumentation and computer interfacing to analytical equipment.
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening.
- Must be willing to work out of an office located in Niskayuna, NY.
- Must be willing to take a drug test and submit to a background investigation as part of the selection process.
- Must be 18 years or older.
- You must submit your application for employment on the careers page at www.gecareers.com to be considered.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications:
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen.
- Recognized technical expert in thermal analysis techniques.
- Expertise in the operation, calibration, repair and maintenance of thermal analysis instrumentation.
- Expertise in sample preparation techniques for thermal analysis. Design of fixtures, sample supports, etc.
- Experience with design and implementation of current thermal analysis techniques. (thermogravimetric analysis (TGA), dynamic mechanical analysis (DMA), thermo mechanical analysis (TMA), differential scanning calorimetry (DSC), etc.).
- Strong problem solving skills in the area of thermodynamics, kinetics, mechanical properties, and materials characterization.
- Technical leadership capabilities with excellent teaming skills.
- Six sigma and DOE training
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Safety conscious
- Self Motivated
- Flexible, able to work with experts in diverse fields
- Able to work independently and as part of the team and negotiate concrete deliverables for projects
- Able to quickly learn new technologies and skills and thrive in an applied research environment
- Able to work under pressure and meet deadlines