This job is no longer available
The successful candidate will work with a team of researchers to design, build, and instrument sophisticated test rigs. He/she will then run the experiments, collect the data, and assist in post-processing and interpreting the data.With periodic guidance, the successful candidate will:
- Create and conduct experiments using a variety of measurements tools and experimental techniques in fluid and structural dynamics, including thermocouples, RTD's, infrared cameras, flow meters and pressure probes.
- Procure parts and materials to build prototype mechanical and electrical hardware.
- Assemble complex prototype models for testing in flow rigs.
- Maintain and upgrade large experimental systems that may require high pressures, elevated temperatures, and large flows.
- Operate compressor systems, preheaters, and exhauster/blowers.
- Program and operate data acquisition software including Labview and Labwindows
- Associates degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or closely related field with a minimum of 3 years of experience in laboratory or research work or Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or closely related field.
- A demonstrated record of being able to utilize basic designs to build quality hardware
- Basic knowledge of flow characterization equipment, thermocouples, pressure transducers, and data acquisition systems.
- Familiarity with machine shop equipment such as mills, grinders, and lathes.
- Ability to understand and use service documentation.
- Familiarity with fundamental computer data processing.
- Familiarity with computer data graphing packages such as Excel.
- Ability to work during first shift, with the possible requirement to work 2nd or 3rd shift under some situations.
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening.
- Must be willing to work out of an office located in Niskayuna, NY.
- Must be willing to take a drug test and submit to a background investigation as part of the selection process.
- Must be 18 years or older.
- You must submit your application for employment on the careers page at www.gecareers.com to be considered.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications:
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen.
- Direct experience with flow or thermal experiments will be strongly preferred.
- Ability to work with periodic guidance on tasks and innovate
- Ability to program data acquisition software including Labview and Labwindows
- Rapid acquisition of new skills and technologies
- Airframe and Powerplant (A&P) Certification
- Certified Six Sigma Green Belt
- Ability to work well with diverse teams, including PhDs, machinists, and vendors
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong debugging and problem-solving skills
- Excellent time management skills, and the ability to manage multiple tasks in parallel
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent teaming skills