This job is no longer available
The qualified individual will join the rotating machines team in the Machinery Mechanics Lab, which is responsible for performing mechanical design and advanced development in the area of drive train system components, system dynamics, mechanical system design, and integration for rotating machinery. Essential responsibilities include the design, analysis and testing of rotating components (bearings, gears, couplings and rotors), analysis of machine dynamics and rotating structures, and the integration of rotating components into prototype electrical and turbomachinery. Applications include fossil and renewable power generation and storage, gas compression and gas/liquid pumping, electric machines and drives, and propulsion systems for land and air transport.You will:
- Be part of a team of electrical, thermal and aero engineers, at GE Global Research, GE business units, as well as other multidisciplinary teams in the conceptual design of rotating machinery
- Execute critical technologies to enable high performance rotating machines working with internal and business engineering teams as well as outside vendors and research institutes.
- With guidance, develop mechanical and interdisciplinary design efforts with responsibility for design, development and validation of rotating and stationary mechanical hardware in electrical machines and turbomachinery
- Help develop procurement, build up and testing of prototype rotating machinery from the concept phase through the validation testing phase for the evaluation of mechanical, thermal and electrical performance
- Possess technical expertise with ability to respond to short term technical issues.
- Attend customer meetings and provide design results as needed to communicate with the customer on project status.
- Understand and follow external developments in rotating machinery technology and rotating components
- Doctorate degree in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Applied Mechanics in rotating machinery and/or rotating components design, or related field of study OR Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or Applied Mechanics in rotating machinery and/or rotating components design, or related field of study with at least 3 years of industrial experience.
- Design expertise in rotordynamics and rotating components such as bearings and gears including conceptual and detailed design, validation and test and product implementation.
- Experience with product design constraints, manufacturing techniques and material processing selections in turbomachinery and electrical machines.
- Experience in conceptual design, build up and validation of full scale rotating machinery incorporating new or experimental technology
- Experience in conceiving, developing and carrying out experiments in rotating component hardware and transferring component level tests into full scale hardware solutions
- Interpersonal, leadership and communication skills in a global team environment.
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals at the Masters level for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening.
- Must be willing to work out of an office located in Niskayuna, NY.
- Must be willing to take a drug test and submit to a background investigation as part of the selection process.
- Must be 18 years or older.
- You must submit your application for employment on the careers page at www.gecareers.com to be considered.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications:
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen.
- Rotor and support structural design experience
- Component and sub-system Finite Element Analysis
- Experience with materials and manufacturing techniques used in rotating components including alloys and coatings as well as grinding, finishing and hardening methods.
- Experience in rotating machine design in the power generation, propulsion and or oil and gas sectors
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Ability to work across all functions/levels as part of a team.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.