This job is no longer available
Combustion Technologies is an organization that develops combustion technology for the next generation of high efficiency, environmentally friendly, reliable, and cost-effective combustors for the Power Generation, Aircraft Engines, Oil & Gas, and Locomotive businesses. We are a key element of GE's "ecomagination" initiative making contributions across a multitude of fields including low-emission gas turbines, aircraft engines, and diesel engines. Our teams are based around the world, with offices and labs in Niskayuna (New York), and Bangalore (India). We seek outstanding technologists with advanced degrees in Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering.The Combustion Dynamics and Diagnostics Lab is focused on applying state-of-the-art combustion diagnostics techniques to gain fundamental physics insight of the combustion process. Facilities include multiple high-pressure combustion test cells that enable experiments at gas turbine operating conditions, and atmospheric combustors with full optical access for laser based diagnostics, as we as multiple lasers and cameras.
You will report to the Lab Manager for the Combustion Dynamics and Diagnostics Lab.
As a Mechanical Engineer in Combustion Organization, you will:
- Work with technicians and engineers to design and install new experiment hardware;
- Perform high pressure and temperature combustion experiments and analyze results;
- Use state-of-the-art laser diagnostics technique to conduct detailed space resolved and time resolved flow, spray, flame, and temperature measurements.
- Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or related disciplines
- Knowledge of combustion, combustion chemistry, thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, acoustics, optics, and laser diagnostics.
- Demonstrated ability to investigate, model and provide critical insight into complex physical phenomena.
- Must be willing to travel to and stay at other GE facilities 50% of time.
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening.
- Must be willing to work out of an office located in Niskayuna, NY.
- Must be willing to take a drug test and submit to a background investigation as part of the selection process.
- Must be 18 years or older.
- You must submit your application for employment on the careers page at www.gecareers.com to be considered.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications:
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen.
- Background in gas turbine combustion and emissions, including: laser diagnostics, fuel/air premixing systems, thermo-acoustic instabilities (combustion dynamics), autoignition, flame propagation in complex fuel mixtures, combustion kinetics & chemistry, design and evaluation of new combustion systems, and modeling of combustion systems.
- Peer reviewed journal publications.
- Experience working with high-pressure, high-temperature combustion experiments
- Knowledge of temperature and flow measurement systems
- Experience working in teams and creating innovative technology solutions.
- Knowledge of National Instruments LabWindows data acquisition and control software.
- Knowledge of Fluent, Chemkin or other combustion/kinetics modeling programs
- Six Sigma Greenbelt Certification
- Demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to work across all functions/levels as part of a team
- Ability to create innovative technology solutions
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- The ability to independently execute on projects
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.