This job is no longer available
- Create and conduct experiments using a variety of measurements tools and experimental techniques in fluid dynamics and thermal sciences (heat and mass transfer), including thermocouples, infrared cameras, particle image velocimetry, hot wire anemometry, and pressure probes.
- Procure parts and materials to build prototype mechanical and electrical hardware.
- Assemble complex prototype models for testing.
- Maintain and upgrade laboratories.
- Program and operate data acquisition software including Labview and Labwindows
- Complete CAD modeling for mechanical design
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or Electrical Engineering OR Associates degree in technology with at least 3 years of experience in laboratory or research work.
- A demonstrated record of working from "back of the envelope" designs to build quality hardware
- Basic knowledge of flow characterization equipment, IR Cameras, thermocouples, pressure transducers, and data acquisition systems.
- Must be proficient in the use of CAD tools, such as Unigraphics or Solidworks, for modeling experimental rigs
- Familiarity with machine shop capabilities including mills, grinders, and lathes.
- Ability to understand and use service documentation.
- Familiarity with fundamental computer data processing.
- Familiarity with computer data graphing packages such as Excel.
- Working knowledge of Labview, including software development toolbox
- Candidate must be willing to travel up to 6 weeks per year, on short notice, to support customer field tests
- Must be willing to work during first shift, with the possibility of working 2nd or 3rd shift under limited situations
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening.
- Must be willing to work out of an office located in Niskayuna, NY.
- Must be willing to take a drug test and submit to a background investigation as part of the selection process.
- Must be 18 years or older.
- You must submit your application for employment on the careers page at www.gecareers.com to be considered.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications:
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen.
- Direct experience with flow or thermal experiments
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Rapid acquisition of new skills and technologies
- Excellent time management skills, and the ability to manage multiple tasks in parallel
- Strong analytical skills.
- Ability to work across all functions/levels as part of a team.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.