Journal Development Editor / Journal Development Manager
Springer Nature is one of the world’s leading global research, educational and professional publishers. It is home to an array of respected and trusted brands and imprints, with more than 170 years of combined history behind them, providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services. Every day, around the globe, our imprints, books, journals and resources reach millions of people, helping researchers and scientists to discover, students to learn and professionals to achieve their goals and ambitions. The company has almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries.
SpringerOpen is Springer Nature's rapidly growing portfolio of open access journals, covering all disciplines within the science, technology, and medicine (STM) fields.
SpringerOpen is recruiting for a number of Journal Development roles, the level of which (Journal Development Editor or Journal Development Manager) will be based on experience. This is an exciting opportunity to work as part of a dynamic and international team, with colleagues based in London, North America, Europe and Asia.
The Journal Development Editor/ Journal Development Manager role is ideally suited to a talented and proactive individual who is passionate about science, technology and open access. Strategic thinking, excellent communication skills and the ability to build strong relationships are key to success in this exciting and varied position.
As the primary publishing contact for a portfolio of open access titles in the Physical Sciences, Mathematics and Engineering portfolio, the successful candidate will be responsible for growing and developing their journal cluster, and ensuring exceptional service to our authors, reviewers and other external stakeholders.
- Develop and maintain excellent working relationships with academic Editors, Editorial Boards, society executives and other key contacts in the field, with the aim of building and maintaining our journals’ reputations and increasing submissions; organise and host Editorial Board meetings
- Build knowledge of the field and the relevant scientific communities to identify journal development opportunities and translate them into actions to maintain a competitive advantage
- Represent the company at local and international conferences to improve market knowledge, network within the community and to receive feedback and promote our journals
- Produce and implement strategic development plans for the journals, in line with company strategy
- Plan and drive the commissioning of content, including proactively suggesting topics
- Ensure journals receive appropriate representation in indexing services, including selective services
- Monitor submissions, publications and peer-review performance for the portfolio and assist colleagues in dealing with author queries or problem manuscripts
- Ensure journals are promoted through all relevant avenues
- Handle contract renewals and negotiations
- Work with other team members to identify opportunities for acquiring journals
- Other duties as required
Additional responsibilities for the Journal Development Manager:
- Line management and coaching of a team of Journal Development Editors, including objective setting and carrying out annual performance and development reviews
- Oversee the success of the journals in the portfolio by working with Journal Development Editors to set individual journal targets, produce and implement strategic journal development plans, and optimise publishing services
- Identify opportunities for high quality additions to the journal portfolio, including new launches and transfer candidates, and assist and/or lead in bringing these through to contract
- Educated to degree level, preference for physical sciences, mathematics, engineering or related area
- Knowledge of journal publishing processes and related matters, and understanding of and interest in open access publishing
- Highly customer-focused, with excellent communication and influencing skills
- Ability to work cooperatively with colleagues at all levels
- Experience of developing and maintaining productive and friendly relations/partnerships with academic and industry-based researchers
- Strong time management and organisational skills; including proven ability to take ownership to drive and complete tasks, to consistently meet deadlines, and adapt quickly to change
- Excellent critical appraisal, analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong attention to detail/high accuracy
- Willing to travel and represent the company at internal and external events
- Developed knowledge of the physical sciences, mathematics or engineering field/s
- Previous experience working in the publishing industry
Additional experience, skills and qualifications for the Journal Development Manager:
- Line management experience
- Project management experience
- Experience of presenting information to and conducting discussions with senior academics and representatives of organisations (e.g. learned societies)
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours.
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following EEO Is
The Law Poster:
Please apply online: