Chief Editor, Genome Medicine (Open Access)
BioMed Central, a part of Springer Nature, is the leading open access publisher of STM (Science, Technology and Medicine) research. Since it was founded in 2000, BioMed Central has successfully pioneered the open access publishing model and brought open access to the mainstream. With offices in London, North America and Asia, the company employs over 300 people across a range of operations including editorial, production, IT and business. BioMed Central is a vibrant and innovative company. It operates in a fast-paced and high-energy environment, hiring talented people who are passionate about science, technology, medicine and open access.Unlike traditional publishers, BioMed Central believes research should be free to access for anyone. Since it was founded in 2000, BioMed Central has successfully pioneered the open access publishing model and brought open access to the mainstream. Our primary offices are in London, New York and Shanghai.
Genome Medicine an online, open access flagship journal published by BioMed Central, publishes research and reviews that describe important advances in the application of genetics, genomics and multi-omics to understand, diagnose and treat disease. Genome Medicine is the sister journal to Genome Biology, and is ranked 12th among research journals ain the Genetics and Heredity category of the JCI.
The role of Chief Editor, Genome Medicine, provides a wonderful opportunity to take this flagship title on to the next level, with an aim to be a leading high-impact, open access home for research in genomic medicine. The journal publishes high quality original research and review articles describing the use of cutting edge genomic and high-throughput technologies in medical discovery and clinical applications. The aim of the journal is to inform researchers studying human disease, support clinicians using ‘omic’ data, and facilitate dialogue and collaboration with a commitment to rigorous, reproducible, openly available science.
The position is a full-time salaried role based at our office in London or New York. As Chief Editor, you will be the ambassador for the journal and BioMed Central through your active engagement with the community globally. You will be responsible for peer review and selection of content for publication, for steering the journal’s strategy, and for leadership of the in-house editorial team and external editorial board.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Proactively engage with the scientific community as an ambassador for the journal and the company, advocating for the journal and company at academic institutions and conferences, and through social media and other communication channels.
- Lead the in-house team of manuscript handling editors, ensuring that they achieve the right balance of time between efficient service to authors and outreach in the community, including lab visits and conference attendance, to attract the best authors and high-quality content.
- Have overall responsibility for all aspects of manuscript selection, including peer review, commissioning, and creating editorial material, with final say on decisions to accept or reject material and accountability for published content.
- Foster excellent service to authors, including courteous, constructive decisions and an efficient peer review process.
- Implement policies that assure the integrity of the scientific record.
- Use your knowledge of the subject and your personal network to understand developments in genome medicine in order to identify editorial opportunities and inform journal strategy.
- Work with the Publisher to drive the strategy for Genome Medicine in an evolving research and publishing landscape, to attract top-quality authors and content, and to develop the journal’s reputation as an outstanding forum in the field.
- Work with other departments and in-house systems and processes to ensure that the journal is published and promoted efficiently and effectively.
- Agree with the Publisher editorial targets, team cost budgets, and other KPIs, and ensure that they are met or improved on.
- Other duties as required by manager.
- PhD, MD or equivalent qualification in a relevant discipline
- Broad scientific interests and knowledge
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience in management, supervision or mentorship of junior team members’
- Strong organizational and time-management skills
- Willing to travel internationally
- experience in peer review and decision-making
- experience in journal development
- Excellent level of knowledge of current challenges and opportunities in scientific publishing
Springer Nature is a leading global research, educational and professional publisher, home to an array of respected and trusted brands providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services.
Springer Nature is the world’s largest academic book publisher, publisher of the world’s highest impact journals and a pioneer in the field of open research. The company numbers almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries and has a turnover of approximately EUR 1.5 billion. Springer Nature was formed in 2015 through the merger of Nature Publishing Group, Palgrave Macmillan, Macmillan Education and Springer Science+Business Media.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following EEO Is The Law Poster: