Acquisitions Editor, Computer Science
Springer Nature is a major new force in scientific, scholarly, professional and educational publishing. By using its combined expertise, scale and the reach of our brands, the company aims to grow and innovate in order to better serve academic researchers, students, teachers, institutions, professionals and the wider public, by helping them discover more. Springer Nature was created through the combination of Nature Publishing Group, Palgrave Macmillan, Macmillan Education and Springer Science+Business Media in May 2015. This strategic merger brought together these dynamic publishing houses with more than 150 years of history behind them, as well as complementary geographic footprints and brand portfolios, a track record of creativity and innovation, and a shared vision to advance knowledge and learning around the world. The company numbers almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries and has a turnover of EURO 1.5 billion.
The Editor, Computer Science is responsible for increasing company profitability via acquisitions that are consistent with the company's reputation as a high‑quality, high‑level publisher. The role involves extensive author and editor contact, proposal review, contract negotiation, preparation of manuscripts for production, promotional planning and monitoring of sales, budget and financial planning, long‑range planning for growth and development of the program and management of editorial support staff. The Editor pursues an active and efficient acquisitions policy through correspondence, meetings/trips, telephone, consultations with advisors, etc. Approximately 30% travel required as well as strong initiative and independent functioning. Specific responsibilities include:
- Acquires journals, books, book series, and reference works.
- Ensures growth of existing journal program.
- Ensures success of new journals, books, references, and series from launch through establishment.
- Develops new and existing Society relationships.
- Acquires, maintains and develops a circle of reviewers and advisors and evaluates their judgments.
- Negotiates publishing contracts in regard to US product.
- Proposes publishing plans for program, including content direction and quantity, and portfolio makeup and balance.
- Develops guidelines, plans, reporting systems, etc., to implement publishing plans. Maintains current status of all projects in the program via reporting system.
- Discusses, assumes and proposes financial and budgetary plans for program. Ensures that financial reports, status reports, budget forecasts, etc., can be made on the basis of readily available material.
- Maintains continuous cooperation and dialogues with sales, marketing, promotion and production concerning individual projects as well as general questions of mutual interest.
- Maintains communication with US and European editorial counterparts about specific immediate questions as well as long‑term strategy questions. Works with various branches in coordination of the international program.
- Reviews and discusses new projects and plans with editorial colleagues, particularly in overlapping areas.
- Supervises final editorial preparation of manuscripts for production.
- Monitors staffing requirements and trains and develops staff.
- Performs related duties as required.
- College degree required.
- Advanced degree in computer science or related discipline preferred.
- Experience as an editor or related editorial/publishing experience highly desirable.
- Experience with book acquisition and journal management preferred.
- Project management experience highly desirable.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills required.
- Must be willing and able to travel.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours
Visit our website at www.springernature.com.
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following EEO Is The Law Poster:
Please apply online: