Associate Publisher, Open Access
BioMed Central, a part of Springer Nature, is the leading open access publisher of STM (Science, Technology and Medicine) research. Unlike traditional publishers, BioMed Central believes research should be free to access for anyone. Since it was founded in 2000, BioMed Central has successfully pioneered the open access publishing model and brought open access to the mainstream.
BioMed Central is a vibrant and innovative open access publisher. An imprint of Springer Nature, one of the world’s leading global scientific and medical publishers, we operate in a fast-paced and high-energy environment, with staff based in Europe, Asia and the Americas.
Our publishing team is responsible for driving the growth of our business through strategic journal development and acquisitions, upholding rigorous editorial standards, maintaining strong relationships with external customers, and effecting the smooth running and promotion of the journal portfolio through liaison with internal colleagues. We work closely with leading academics and policy makers, and remain close to the cutting-edge of scientific and medical advances, while gaining exposure to all aspects of the academic journal publishing industry.
The Associate Publisher role is ideally suited to a talented and proactive individual who is passionate about the health sciences and open access. Strategic thinking, a proactive approach, and and the ability to build strong relationships are key to success in this exciting and varied position. You'll oversee the commercial success and strategic development of a portfolio of open access titles in the health sciences, enjoy building new business through journal launches and acquisitions, and help champion the needs of the portfolio, Editors in Chief and sponsoring societies of journals within the portfolio.
- Assist with the development and execution of a strategic plan for the Health Sciences portfolio
- Assist with journal and team budgeting (including but not limited to honoraria, travel, and staffing)
- Line management and coaching of a team of Journal Development Editors/Managers
- Identify opportunities for high quality additions to the Health Sciences portfolio, including new launches, society journals and and transfer candidates, and assist and/or lead in bringing these through to contract.
- Oversee the success of the journals in the portfolio by working with Journal Development Editors/Managers to set individual journal targets, develop and execute journal development plans, and optimise publishing services
- Develop and maintain excellent working relationships with Editors-in Chief, Editorial Board members, society representatives
- Implement new policies, processes, workflows, and systems as required
Specific duties of the Associate Publisher position include:
- With the Global Head of Health Sciences, Publisher and the other Associate Publishers within the team, develop and execute a strategic plan for the portfolio
- Oversee individual journal targets, and the development and execution of journal development plans
- Drive assigned company-wide projects to completion
B. Line Management
- Line management of a team of Journal Development Editors/Managers, , including setting objectives, carrying out annual performance and development reviews
- Demonstrate leadership skills in team and department environments
C. Journal Acquisitions
- Identify opportunities for high-quality start-up or transferring journals to be published by BioMed Central (BMC)
- Conduct discussions by phone, email, or in face-to-face meetings throughout the pre-contractual stages
- Conduct contractual negotiations and finalise journal agreements to match the editors’ needs and BMC’s interests
- Ensure that acquisitions progress in a timely manner
- Give presentations or otherwise contribute to conferences or similar events with the aim of increasing awareness of BMC
D. Contract negotiations with Editors and Societies
- Take the lead in discussing and preparing new publishing agreements after expiry of agreements, resignation of editors, new joint Editors-in-Chief or other cases where new agreements need to be negotiated and signed for the journals within the portfolio
- Monitor expiry dates and contractual obligations and conditions to ensure agreements are adapted and renewed in time to avoid interruptions and disturbances
- Ensure correct filing of documents and correct data entry (e.g. into Salesforce) to enable monitoring of renewal dates, correct honoraria payments, etc
E. Relationship management
- Build and maintain positive relationships with society partners and external Editors-in-Chief as needed in order to provide support to the HS team.
- Communicate regularly with Editors-in-Chief, Editorial Board members, and society leadership to understand their needs, motivations, priorities and pain points,
F. Market knowledge and opportunities
- Have an overview of the state of relevant markets in terms of publishing output, open access and funding
- Represent the company at scientific conferences when required to improve market knowledge, to network within the community, receive feedback on the journals and to promote BMC journals
- Use market knowledge to identify editorial opportunities for BMC in key markets
- Keep internal documentation up to date
- Undertake other duties as assigned by your manager
- Educated to degree level; preference for degrees in a health science, biomedical or clinical subject area
- Journal management experience required; academic/scholarly publishing exposure preferred
- A good understanding of and interest in open access publishing
- Line management experience
- Customer focused, with experience of developing and maintaining productive and friendly relations/partnerships with academic and industry-based scientists
- Experience of presenting information to and conducting discussions with senior academics and representatives of organisations (e.g. learned societies, libraries)
- Excellent communication and influencing skills
- Strong time management skills and organisational skills, including proven ability to take ownership and drive tasks to completion and consistently meet deadlines
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent critical appraisal, analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to work cooperatively with colleagues at all levels
- Willing to travel and represent the company at internal and external events
- Developed knowledge of the health sciences field
Springer Nature is a leading global research, educational and professional publisher, home to an array of respected and trusted brands providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services.
Springer Nature is the world’s largest academic book publisher, publisher of the world’s highest impact journals and a pioneer in the field of open research. The company numbers almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries and has a turnover of approximately EUR 1.5 billion. Springer Nature was formed in 2015 through the merger of Nature Publishing Group, Palgrave Macmillan, Macmillan Education and Springer Science+Business Media.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following EEO Is The Law Poster: