Group Leader, Social Science
Are you a research leader or aspiring research leader who:
wants to make research breakthroughs that will help shape the world beyond universities?
wants to grow your own group in an outstanding and supportive environment?
believes implicitly in the value of partnering with government, industry and not-for-profits on problems that matter to them?
ISSR wants you!
The Institute for Social Science Research (ISSR) is UQ's flagship social science research organisation and a world-class multidisciplinary social science institute. ISSR undertakes solution-oriented social science, working with non-university partners to address critical challenges using breakthrough research that contributes to better policy, practice and societal outcomes. The key elements of our approach are deep partnerships with government, industry and not-for-profits, to solve problems that matter to them, using innovative multidisciplinary and cross-sectoral collaborations and leading-edge theories, tools and data. ISSR's outstanding research environment includes the $28 million Australian Research Council Centre of Excellence for Children and Families over the Life Course, only the second Australian Research Council Centre of Excellence to be funded in the social sciences. The Institute is housed in two purpose-redesigned buildings on the new UQ Long Pocket Precinct.
More information can be found at http://www.issr.uq.edu.au/
ISSR currently has several new Group Leader opportunities for research leaders who want to design, build and grow innovative work programs in high impact social science. To be an ISSR Group Leader you will have disciplinary and methodological expertise in a relevant social science or science discipline. You will have a strong intellectual vision for what you want to achieve, and a desire to grow your own group to build something distinctive. You will have managed groups and teams, and worked with funders, clients and stakeholders to help address their questions.
ISSR currently has a number of focal areas:
- The science of social and economic inequality and disadvantage
- Family processes and social outcomes
- Addressing indigenous disadvantage in Australia and internationally
- Global development
- Applied and social statistics
- Policy and Program Evaluation
The Institute is also developing research concentrations in:
- Data science
- Social aspects of health
We welcome applications in any of these areas or in new areas that complement our existing strengths.
To be successful in these roles you will need to demonstrate:
- Leadership skills in a team environment
- Strong track record of working effectively with non-university stakeholders
- A track record of external contract and grant funding, publications and a high profile in your area of research
- The capacity to attract personal fellowship or other funding to support your activities
- Successful completion and mentoring of research higher degree students or demonstrated potential to successfully mentor and advise such students
- Commitment to your social scientific or scientific research communities
- The ability to coach and mentor early career researchers
- Networking, influencing, advocacy and presentation skills.
ISSR welcomes applications from outstanding candidates with unconventional academic trajectories including research leadership in non-university organisations.
The University of Queensland values diversity and inclusion.
Applications are particularly encouraged from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
- An attractive negotiated start-up package (at Academic Level C to D)
- This is a three year, full time, fixed term position. The remuneration package will be in the range $109,586.85 $126,360.11 p.a., plus employer superannuation contributions of up to 17% (total package will be in the range $128,216.61 $147,841.33 p.a.) for Level C or $131,951.19 $145,370.30 p.a. plus employer superannuation contributions of up to 17% (total package will be in the range $154,382.89 $170,083.25 p.a.) for Level D
- Access to a highly innovative and commercially-savvy research development team with an outstanding record facilitating funding success in government and industry contracts and competitive research grants
- Generous salary packaging opportunities
- Flexible and family friendly work environment
- Access to world-class facilities and infrastructure
- The opportunity to build an innovative research group doing work of real value
This is an exceptional opportunity to join our organisation and help build your and the Institute's futures. For further information please contact Professor Mark Western, Director, ISSR on +61 7 33467344 or email email@example.com, cc'ing, firstname.lastname@example.org.
These positions will be open until filled. A first review of applications will take place after 6 November 2016. Subsequent reviews will take place in 2017, dates to be announced. To be considered for this position, please submit your expression of interest via the Apply button below no later than 6 November 2016 to be considered for the first round.
All applicants must supply the following documents: a cover letter outlining your background, experience and research vision, a full academic curriculum vitae, response to the selection criteria and contact details of three professional referees.
For information on completing the application process click here.
More jobs like this
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Business and Finance jobs in Australia
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Science jobs in Australia
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Social and Behavioral Sciences jobs in Australia
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Sociology jobs in Australia