Senior Lecturer: Equine Medicine - Faculty of Veterinary Science
FACULTY OF VETERINARY SCIENCE
DEPARTMENT OF COMPANION ANIMAL CLINICAL STUDIES
SENIOR LECTURER: EQUINE MEDICINE
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The successful candidate will actively participate in the following areas:
- Didactic and clinical/experiential training of undergraduate and postgraduate veterinary and veterinary nursing students in Equine Medicine;
- Departmental research and publications;
- Departmental and faculty administrative activities and other duties as delegated by the Head of Department;
- Clinical service in the Onderstepoort Veterinary Academic Hospital and surrounding community, including a 24-hour service in the OVAH Clinic;
- Community engagement activities.
- A BVSc or BVMCh degree or equivalent professional veterinary qualification; PLUS
- A MMedVet or European/American/Australian Board Certified Specialist in Equine Medicine;
- Acknowledged clinical expertise in Equine Medicine;
- Registration with the SAVC as a Specialist or eligibility at appointment;
- Five years of general Equine Medicine experience;
- Two research papers as lead author or senior author.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Appropriate language and communication skills;
- Good interpersonal skills (constructive and co-operative working relationships);
- Good computer skills (Windows, MS Office, internet);
- Out of hours availability.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Teaching experience appropriate to the tertiary environment;
- Commitment to further academic development.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED medical aid scheme and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za, and follow the link: Careers@UP.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- Cover letter indicating that you comply with the above-mentioned requirements;
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact;
- Names and contact details of peer reviewers (academic and research);
- Self-evaluation must address each minimum requirement (points 1-6) and required competencies (points 1 – 4). Applications that do not include these in the evaluation may be rejected.
CLOSING DATE: 26 October 2016
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Dr Michael Hewetson, Tel: (012) 529 8493
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 3 January 2017, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.