PhD Research Project: Printable Micro-rockets for Medical Diagnosis
4 days left
- Full Time
We have recently fabricated micro sized enzyme powered silk rockets that can swim in bio-fluids (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/smll.201600921/epdf) which have attracted considerable media attention. This PhD project will further develop the rockets for use in medical diagnostic applications including cardiology and cancer cell detection. To achieve this goal, the student will gain experience in preparing bio-materials, ink-jet printing and state of the art high spatial resolution physio-chemical characterisation methods. The student will also use relevant cell and protein assays to evaluate the biocompatibility and efficiency of the fabricated micro-rockets. The PhD will consequently equip the student with a variety of highly desirable materials and life-science skills providing the background to kick start a future career in academia or industry.
The successful applicant will gain the opportunity to work as part of a highly interdisciplinary team, and be mentored by academics and researchers spanning materials science, chemistry biological engineering, and medical research. The studentship is part of a new program aimed to translate fundamental science into viable Healthcare technologies and so provides a genuine opportunity to carry out research with the potential for significant societal impact.
Funding for this project provides stipend and tuition fees for UK applicants. Tuition fees only for EU students.
More jobs like this
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Business and Finance jobs in United Kingdom
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Science jobs in United Kingdom
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Computer Science and IT jobs in United Kingdom
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Life Sciences jobs in United Kingdom
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Cell and Molecular Biology jobs in United Kingdom