Journal Development Editor, Open Access
4 days left
- Full Time
BioMed Central (BMC) is a large portfolio of peer-reviewed open access journals for Science, Technology and Medicine. The journals span all areas of biology, medicine and health, including broad interest titles such as BMC Biology and BMC Medicine alongside specialist journals, such as Malaria Journal and BMC Infectious Diseases.
BioMed Central is a vibrant and innovative open access publisher. An imprint of Springer Nature, one of the world’s leading global scientific and medical publishers, we operate in a fast-paced and high-energy environment, with staff based in Europe, Asia and the Americas.
Our publishing team is responsible for driving the growth of our business through strategic journal development and acquisitions, upholding rigorous editorial standards, maintaining strong relationships with external customers, and effecting the smooth running and promotion of the journal portfolio through liaison with internal colleagues. We work closely with leading academics and clinicians, and remain close to the cutting-edge of scientific and medical advances, while gaining exposure to all aspects of the academic journal publishing industry.
The Journal Development Editor role is ideally suited to a talented and proactive individual who is passionate about science, technology, medicine and open access. As the primary publishing contact for a portfolio of open access titles in the health sciences, the successful candidate will be responsible for growing and developing their journals, and ensuring exceptional service to our key stakeholders. Strategic thinking, excellent communication skills and the ability to build strong relationships are key to success in this exciting and varied position. Specific responsibilities include:
- Develop and maintain excellent working relationships with academic Editors, Editorial Boards, society executives and other key contacts in the field, with the aim of building our journals’ reputations and increasing submissions
- Build knowledge of the field and the relevant scientific communities to produce and implement strategic development plans for the journals to maintain a competitive advantage
- Plan, hold and follow up on Editorial Board meetings/conference calls, in conjunction with Editors
- Plan and drive the commissioning of content, including proactively suggesting topics
- In conjunction with the Journal Editorial Office team ensure the smooth running of peer review, including providing external Editors with guidance and training
- Ensure journal websites feature up-to-date content to engage the community, and that journals are promoted through all relevant avenues
- Represent the company at local and international conferences to improve market knowledge, to network within the community, receive feedback on the journals, and to promote BioMed Central journals and open access
- Work with other team members to identify opportunities for acquiring journals, manage set up activities for new journal and handle journal contract renewals and honorarium negotiations in a timely fashion
- Other duties as required
- College background required—Bachelor’s degree or equivalent preferred.
- Previous experience working in the publishing industry with knowledge of journal publishing process and related matters, and understanding of and interest in open access publishing
- Highly customer-focused, with excellent communication and influencing skills
- Experience of developing and maintaining productive and friendly relations/partnerships with academic and industry-based researchers
- Excellent time management and organisational skills; including proven ability to take ownership to drive and complete tasks, to meet deadlines consistently, and adapt quickly to change
- Excellent critical appraisal, analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong attention to detail/high accuracy
- Developed knowledge of the health sciences field
If you are an internal candidate please inform your line manager of your application.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following EEO Is The Law Poster:
Springer Nature is a leading global research, educational and professional publisher, home to an array of respected and trusted brands providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services.
Springer Nature is the world’s largest academic book publisher, publisher of the world’s highest impact journals and a pioneer in the field of open research. The company numbers almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries and has a turnover of approximately EUR 1.5 billion. Springer Nature was formed in 2015 through the merger of Nature Publishing Group, Palgrave Macmillan, Macmillan Education and Springer Science+Business Media.
Please apply online: