Project Officer (Strategic Research Projects)
This post will provide support to major research proposals developed from across the academic community. This high profile role will form an integral part of the Strategic Projects Development Team within Research and Innovation Services, who support the development of major, high-value strategic research projects across the University. Working across a portfolio of projects, responsibilities of this post will include composing and managing project development documentation; risk management; project planning; due diligence and assessment and project team management.
In addition, working closely with individual members of the Strategic Projects Development Team, the post holder will be involved in development of individual major strategic research projects with activities to include facilitation of workshops and meetings; input into proposal development; liaison with professional services and academic decision makers; and proactive development of proposal opportunities.
• Educated with an honours degree or equivalent
• Project management qualification or have substantial experience in a project management role with clear evidence of ability to fulfil wider requirements of the post.
The post-holder must possess and be able to demonstrate:
- • considerable knowledge and understanding of project management principles and methodologies alongside their effective deployment;
- • a conceptual and analytical approach to problem-solving, using own initiative;
- • the ability to plan and review complex procedures;
- • the ability to work independently, accurately and to deadlines within a team environment;
- • the ability to interpret, analyse and present information and formulate clear proposals on the basis of the analysis, with an exceptional eye for detail;
- • the ability to think innovatively to identify and initiate appropriate action on opportunities consistent with the Universitys strategy and strengths;
- • exceptional communication skills, both verbal and written;
- • excellent organisational skills with experience in administering multiple work-streams across a portfolio of activities;
- • considerable experience of and confidence in the use of IT packages;
- • excellent documentation and report writing skills;
- • a firm but diplomatic attitude with the ability to prioritise, negotiate and use ones own judgement;
- • strong networking and relationship building skills;
- • sound understanding of research funding environment and priorities for researchers within that environment.
It is desirable that the post-holder possess and be able to demonstrate:
- • Postgraduate qualification;
- • previous experience of working within a Higher/Further Education environment;
- • experience of coordinating or working on a programme of projects, liaising with project managers and keeping a watching brief over progress;
- • experience of project management software and tools;
- • experience of process mapping;
- • experience of facilitating workshops;
- • experience of working on high profile projects with regular exposure to senior leaders and decision makers.