To be an active member of the research project/team assisting in the planning and delivery of research activity within a specified area
so that the overall research objectives of the project are met. To process tissue, blood and other clinical samples and to peform molecular and genomic analyses on them, including but not limited to PCR, RQ-PCR, FISH/ISH, library preparations and NGS, digital droplet PCR (ddPCR) and others. To analyse the data and provide members of the research group with reports for further analysis and/or manuscript and grant
- DNA and RNA extraction from fresh and FFPE material.
- Plasma separation from blood and circulating cell-free DNA isolation from biological specimens.
- Perform DNA/RNA quality and quantity checks for downstream applications.
- Design and optimise PCR/RQ-PCR, ddPCR and sequencing assays.
- Perform a variety of molecular analysis, either manually or using automated equipment.
- Library preparation and NGS analysis.
- Learn other technologies related to the ones stated above for analysis or confirmation of analyses.
- Carry out routine stocktaking and maintain levels of essential laboratory supplies for general use of all laboratory personnel.
- Participate in laboratory duty rotas and to maintain and perform basic troubleshooting.
- Communicate and interact effectively with other personnel concerning the laboratory and procedures therein.
- Present regular progress reports on research to members of the research group or to external audiences to disseminate and publicise research findings.
- Write up results of own work and contribute to the production of research reports, publications and proposals.
- To assist members of the research group in their duties.
- Comply with health and safety procedures affecting self and others and ensure the work area is clean and safe at all times.
- Analysis and input of data and update laboratory databases.
- Read academic papers, journals and textbooks to keep abreast of developments.
- Carry out all of the above according to the existing procedures and SOP of the NI-MPL, including the laboratory rules related to laboratory accreditation, maintaining accurate records of results in a manner that will enable them to be accessed and interpreted.
Planning and Organising:
Ensure all supplies and equipment are available so that work can proceed as scheduled.
Assist in the optimisation of new techniques or use of new reagents and troubleshoot as required.
Resource Management Responsibilities: Responsibility for the general maintenance and efficient performance of equipment in the laboratory.
Have responsibility for cataloguing, monitoring and ensuring adequate levels of stocks.
Internal and External Relationships:
- Daily contact with supervisor, work colleagues and other members of staff.
- Some contact with laboratory sales representatives and maintenance engineers.
- Attendance and involvement at seminars and research meetings in the NI-MPL as required.
- Well developed understanding of relevant regulations and procedures including Health and Safety requirements and COSHH Primary degree in biology, biomedical science, medical laboratory sciences or related subject.
- Relevant research experience.
- Experience with PCR-based tests (PCR, Sanger sequencing, Pyrosequencing, RT-PCR, Q-PCR, ddPCR, etc).
- Recent relevant experience in other molecular genetics techniques.
- Experience with tissue-based work and clinical samples for molecular analysis.
- Good laboratory practice.
- Knowledge of biomedical science subjects acquired through a diploma equivalent level qualification or on the job training.
- Technical knowledge of cell/molecular biology/ genetics. regulations. Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Be capable of using own initiative.
- Ability to work in a team and as an individual. 1 Ability to plan own work schedule responding to new pressures and adjusting priorities.
- MSc or PhD.
- Experience in a CPA/UKAS environment.
- Experience with high-throughput technology (e.g. NGS, arrays).
- Experience working with cancer samples.
- Experience with FISH/ISH or other hybridisation technologies.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: We reserve the right to enhance the essential criteria.
More jobs like this
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Business and Finance jobs in United Kingdom
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Science jobs in United Kingdom
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Computer Science and IT jobs in United Kingdom
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Life Sciences jobs in United Kingdom
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Cell and Molecular Biology jobs in United Kingdom