- To play a technical leadership role in the continuing expansion of physical layer wireless communications within the Centre for Wireless Innovation (CWI) as part of the ECIT Global Research Institute.
- To conduct microwave / millimetre-wave component system design and measurement within the Centre for Wireless Innovation.
- To undertake significant RF/Microwave hardware development projects and contribute to industrial and research project technical deliverables focused on physical layer wireless communications with applications in 5G, IOT, Space Communications, Vehicular Communications, healthcare, wearables etc.
- To contribute to commercialisation and knowledge transfer activities associated with CWI’s research outputs.
- To manage and/or lead multi-disciplinary research projects within the Centre and contribute to on-going research programmes in collaboration with research.intensive SMEs, international corporations and research institutes.
- To assist with the raising of substantial funding from industry and major government sources, nationally and internationally.
- To undertake, manage and supervise research and development projects in physical layer wireless communications and sensing systems (including IoT solutions), with the aim of growing the CWI rapidly as a world class centre that successfully combines leading edge research with knowledge transfer, commercialisation and economic impact.
- Development of bespoke RF/microwave circuit/antenna components/systems and custom measurements from RF to mm-wave frequencies.
- Development of circuits/antennas for wireless communications and sensors – e.g. phased arrays.
- Develop and execute project plans to completion.
- Design and development of proof of concept demonstrators that incorporate newly developed capabilities emerging from CWI research groups.
- Project management of contract research and development projects. Produce high quality technical reports, presentations and deliverables to project funders/customers to enable commercialisation or assist in generating funding opportunities to support further programme activity.
- Contribute to industrial and research council funding applications.
- To manage and actively promote industrial associate CWI laboratory membership revenue generation.
- Link strongly with industrial partners to facilitate the transfer of CWI capabilities into commercial R&D teams.
- Provide mentoring and training to staff/students as appropriate.
- Carry out administrative tasks to ensure project goals are completed on time and within budget.
- Undertake any other duties that may reasonably be requested by management.
Planning and Organising:
- Works under general direction within a clear framework of accountability.
- Plans own work to meet given objectives and processes.
- Contribute to the research and development plans for CWI.
- Plan the use of equipment and laboratory resources as appropriate.
- Plan in advance to meet deadlines as required by colleagues and management.
- Liaise with other team members to achieve coordinated progress against objectives.
- Resource Management Responsibilities:
- Ensure research and development facilities and resources are used in an effective and efficient manner.
- Provide guidance as required to supporting staff and students assisting with research activities.
- Responsibility for work of others and allocation of resources as required.
Internal and External Relationships:
- Initiate and sustain engagements with team members to facilitate progress against objectives.
- Participate in external engagements with commercial partners, government bodies and academic institutions related to
- specialisation as required.
- 2:1 Honours Degree, or equivalent, in Electrical/Electronic Engineering or related discipline.
- Must have significant R&D or industrial experience in development of bespoke RF/microwave circuit/antenna
- components/systems, sub-systems.
- Proven track record of design and delivery of operational wireless systems, antennas, circuitry.
- Evidence of experience of high frequency measurement techniques.
- Proven track record of supervision of others relating to technical leadership, direction and assistance to project teams.
- A sustained stream of high quality outputs such as technical reports, major component design specifications and project
- deliverables which have successfully passed formal quality review procedures. Relevant peer reviewed publications may also be acceptable.
- Evidence of ability to produce technical reports, major component design specifications and project deliverables.
- Ability to communicate complex information clearly both orally and in writing.
- Evidence of strong presentation skills and ability to prepare clear and concise presentation materials.
- Strong team player, prepared to work closely with other members of a large multidisciplinary research and development team.
- Willingness to attend meetings nationally and internationally as requested.
- Knowledge of phase locked loops (PLL), phased array antennas, MMIC design, High Frequency D/A and A/D converters.
- Evidence of assisting in raising funding to support further research activity or commercialisation.
- Evidence of executing and managing industrial and/or research projects.
- Experience of activities which support and contribute to commercialisation and economic impact.
- Sufficient breadth and depth of specialist knowledge in the discipline and of research and development methods and techniques to work within established research programmes.
- Ability to interact constructively with others including senior academic staff and industrial / government collaborators.
- Strong drive to complete projects on time and to deliver the promised outcomes.
- We are offering generous terms and conditions of employment, a wide range of benefits and facilities, in a family friendly working environment.
- Belfast is one of Europe’s most friendly and fashionable regional capitals. Referred to as a ‘treasure with an incredible atmosphere’ (National Geographic Traveller), Belfast is reported to be the second safest city in the world (United Nations).
- With the lowest cost of living in the UK (Mercer.com 2014), Belfast offers a variety of cultural, sporting, educational and social opportunities. Our University has established itself as the leading university for promoting good employment practice for its female staff and has been involved with the Athena SWAN initiative from its inception.
- Queen’s was one of the first of two universities to be recognised with an institutional Silver award in 2007, and all of our SET Schools currently hold SWAN awards at Silver level or above.
- We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all sectors of the community particularly females who are currently under-represented in this area.
More jobs like this
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Science jobs in United Kingdom
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Physical Sciences and Engineering jobs in United Kingdom
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Chemical Engineering jobs in United Kingdom
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Chemistry jobs in United Kingdom
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Social and Behavioral Sciences jobs in United Kingdom