To provide specialist technical services to support research and teaching projects of the laboratory headed by Professor Jose Bengoechea. The laboratory aims to understand the infection biology of human pathogens employing a multidisciplinary approach bridging microbiology, immunology and cell biology.
- Contribute to meet the milestones and deliverables of the RCUK funded projects of the laboratory.
- Provide detailed information and guidance to technical staff in laboratory/workshop procedures/research experiments as appropriate.
- Contribute to the development, construction and modification of components/apparatus using full range of techniques for teaching/research/project work purposes.
- Set up specialised equipment and techniques for use by academics and students in practical experiments.
- Prepare and carry out procedures for research tests/experiments and collate, record and tabulate data for interpretation, e.g. the preparation of special materials, compounds and solutions, producing test specimens based on research requirements, generate preliminary data for grants applications, and contribute to answer concerns/issues raised by reviewers of grants and papers of the laboratory.
- Maintain, test, fault finding laboratory storage, ordering system, strain collection, cell lines to ensure it is safe to use and complies with relevant statutory safety regulations. Ensure general workshop/laboratory services tidiness.
- Allocate tasks to technical staff and follow up to ensure work is completed to required standards and timescales.
- Responsible for maintaining stock levels and laboratory collections, to ensure there is adequate stock at all times.
- Comply with Health and Safety procedures affecting self and others, ensure the laboratory complies with Health and Safety procedures. Carry out any other duties which are appropriate to the post as may be reasonably requested by Supervisor.
Planning and Organising:
- Prioritise own work within a general plan to meet deadlines.
- Plan layout of the laboratory/workshop as well as assessing requirements and resources needed in advance.
- Carry out work, with minimal supervision, a range of tasks.
- Ensure all supplies and equipment are available so that work can proceed as scheduled.
Resource Management Responsibilities:
- Where appropriate carry out some training of junior staff. Take delegated responsibility for Health and Safety of the laboratory, and the laboratory management. Allocate/delegate some work to others for specific activities. Support student learning through the development and demonstration of standard equipment and techniques.
Internal and External Relationships:
- Daily contact with Supervisor, work colleagues, University staff and students. Some liaison with external consultants.
- Academic and/or vocational qualifications ie OND/ONC and/or NVQ level3 in relevant subject (or equivalent).
- Minimum of 3 years relevant practical work experience to include:
- Tissue culture and production of bone marrow derived cells
- Animal models of infection
- Specialist skills and knowledge relevant to the job.
- Comprehensive knowledge of relevant systems, equipment and processes.
- Well developed understanding of relevant regulations and procedures including Health and Safety requirements.
- Ability to train junior staff and allocate work.
- Analytical and problem solving skills.
- Working after hours and with animals. Laboratory management skills.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to develop and demonstrate standard equipment and techniques.
- Ability to prioritise own work within a general plan to meet deadlines.
- BSc degree or higher in relevant subject.
More jobs like this
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Business and Finance jobs in United Kingdom
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Science jobs in United Kingdom
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Computer Science and IT jobs in United Kingdom
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Life Sciences jobs in United Kingdom
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Cell and Molecular Biology jobs in United Kingdom