PhD Research Project: Vision-Based Swarming in Multi-Robot Systems
Motivated by the amazing swarm phenomenon in nature such as flocking of birds, many researchers have studied multi-robot swarming systems in recent years. Considering vision is one of the most important sensing approaches for animals in nature, this project aims at exploring the interesting role of visual sensing in multi-robot swarming systems.
With a single camera, a robot is able to “see” the other robots and obtain their location information. However, it is usually difficult for visual sensing to obtain accurate range information of the other robots. This has been recognized as an interesting fundamental “shortcoming” of visual sensing. This project studies how to achieve desired swarm behaviors of multiple robots in the presence of imperfect visual sensing.
In this project, students are expected to explore the fundamental mechanisms in vision-based multi-robot swarming with mathematical and simulation approaches. Prospective students should have a background in control engineering, robotics, mathematics, or computer science. If you are interested or have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants can apply for a Scholarship from the University of Sheffield but should note that competition for these Scholarships is highly competitive. it will be possible to make Scholarship applications from the Autumn with a strict deadline in late January/early February. Specific information will appear: http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/acse/research-degrees/scholarships
More jobs like this
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Science jobs in United Kingdom
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Computer Science and IT jobs in United Kingdom
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Computer Science jobs in United Kingdom
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') General Computing jobs in United Kingdom
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Physical Sciences and Engineering jobs in United Kingdom