Science Faculty Member, UCA's Preparatory Programme
The University of Central Asia (UCA) is a private (not for profit), secular University whose charter has been signed by the Presidents of Tajikistan, the Kyrgyz Republic, Kazakhstan, and His Highness the Aga Khan, ratified by the parliaments of the founding states and registered with the United Nations. UCA is the first internationally chartered university in the world. UCA’s mission is to foster the socio-economic development of Central Asia, particularly its mountain societies, while helping the peoples of the region preserve and draw upon their rich cultural heritages as assets for the future.
Summary of Position and Key Responsibilities
The University of Central Asia is seeking a Science Faculty Member to have an active involvement in the development, planning, preparation and undertaking of all academic upgrading initiatives related to Science instruction within the duration of their contract. This individual is expected to teach two cohorts of 15-20 international students from Central Asia by engaging students in discovery-based learning through projects with a focus on the local environment. The UCA’s preparatory science curriculum will also incorporate practice based learning by allotting a specific amount of time for students in the lab. The purpose of the Science Faculty Member is to ensure students are prepared for the rigors of studying science at a university level.
Overall Programme Outcomes for Science
The Science Courses at UCA will explore two overarching concepts: the scientific method, and mountain environments. These overarching concepts are developed via a number of themes including water, earth, fire, air, colour, music, limits and limitlessness, exploring the solar system and automata. These themes unify topics among the three sciences of chemistry, biology and physics, and also thematically connect Science with the other first semester courses of the preparatory program including Math and English which explore these elements in their own way. The Science Faculty Member will teach a series of Science Courses over 2.5 semesters and will be responsible for engendering the following learning outcomes among students:
- Explain the goals and methods associated with the natural sciences within a local and global context.
- Select mathematical techniques to solve quantitative problems, based on simple scientific concepts.
- Use laboratory equipment to collect data.
- Solve qualitative scientific problems using simple deductive and inductive methods.
- Combine scientific facts to evaluate scientific hypotheses draw conclusions about the environment.
- Locate sources and evaluate their relevance and usefulness to answer factual scientific questions.
- Devise methods to investigate simple properties of physical objects and living things and answer scientific questions.
- Experience (5+ years) in teaching Science to high school and/or university students
- Experience with Science curriculum development
- Experience in developing and delivering training modules to other teachers, tutors, mentors, etc.
- Professional familiarity with Central Asian secondary and post-secondary education landscape would be an asset
- Experience managing student projects
- Native-like English
- Advanced Russian and some knowledge of Kyrgyz, Tajik or Kazakh would be an asset
- A Master’s Degree in a Science related discipline where the individual had the opportunity to use, learn and apply the scientific method, work in a lab and use advanced statistical methodologies would be ideal
- A Ph.D. from a globally recognized university would be ideal
- Teaching Certification from a globally recognized university
The Science Faculty Member will:
- Report to the Dean of UCA School of Arts & Sciences but work under the supervision of the Associate Dean on Campus
Salary and Package: Salary and package to attract the best candidate.
The job description is subject to change.
More jobs like this
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Business and Finance jobs in Tajikistan
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Science jobs in Tajikistan
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Environmental Sciences jobs in Tajikistan
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Life Sciences jobs in Tajikistan
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Cell and Molecular Biology jobs in Tajikistan