PhD Position in Placebo Research
The Division of Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy is dedicated to investigate the effects, processes and possibilities of the placebo. Our research encompasses research on placebo effects in different disorders and populations, the relationship between placebo and psychotherapy, the use of placebo designs in psychotherapy research and the examination of the ethical implications of placebo, employing a wide array of methods and approaches.
The current project aims to examine the effects of open placebos in healthy as well as clinical populations. We expect that the planned studies will elucidate new ways to harness the often substantial placebo effect in an feasible and ethical acceptable way.
As part of our Placebo Research team and the associated neuroscience lab, you will be responsible for the successful preparation, realization and analyses of two open placebo studies in healthy and clinical populations. In this process, you will complete at least three publications as well as participate in other publications and studies of the Divisions Placebo Research team.
We are looking for a motivated, dedicated and hardworking PhD candidate with a completed Master's degree in Psychology or associated disciplines. We expect substantial knowledge of placebo and psychotherapy research, skills in conducting experimental studies, very good knowledge of data management and statistical methodologies. Scientific writing skills are highly preferable. The successful candidate is sincerely interested in a scientific career, a team player, solution-focused and hard-working. Since the studies will involve direct contact with clinical populations, previous clinical experiences are beneficial. Also, the ability to understand and speak German will be needed in the course of the studies.
We offer you
We offer a very motivated, friendly and well-connected team, which will challenge and support you. Also, the Faculty of Psychology is a excellent and stimulating place to do science and the University of Basel educates talents since 1460. Besides, Basel is beautiful, lively and offers unrivaled quality of life.
Application and Contact
- Your application should include:
- a motivation letter, including a description of your research experience to date (maximum two single-spaced pages)
- a curriculum vitae (maximum two single-spaced pages);
- copies of undergraduate and graduate diplomas complete with transcripts;
- an electronic copy of your master's thesis;
- electronic copies of published articles or other academic contributions (if applicable);
- the names and contact information for two academic references
All materials should be submitted via email to Prof. Dr. Jens Gaab (email@example.com) by October 24th, 2016. Applications must be sent as PDF documents in the order listed above. For additional information, please contact Prof. Dr. Jens Gaab.
The University of Basel is an equal opportunity employer; women and minority candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
More jobs like this
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Business and Finance jobs in Switzerland
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Science jobs in Switzerland
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Computer Science and IT jobs in Switzerland
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Life Sciences jobs in Switzerland
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Cell and Molecular Biology jobs in Switzerland