The Outreach and Research Programme of the Department of Paediatrics and Child Health has nine community-based field sites across Pakistan (including five in Karachi) and focuses on research for the betterment of women and child health. The Department has a Nutritional Research Laboratory as well as an Infectious Disease Research Laboratory that caters to the needs of its research projects. It has well-acclaimed work to its credit both at the national and international level.
The department is going to implement a community-based research project in 8 districts of Pakistan in collaboration with government stakeholders and International Agencies on Polio eradication.
You will be responsible to ensure that safe techniques are employed in collection of blood samples, all consumables are in stock at the field site laboratory for the phlebotomy services, all project data log registers at field site laboratory are completed on daily basis, samples are collected , stored and timely dispatched to the main research laboratory as per SOP Guidelines.
Your responsibilities will be to:
- draw blood from patients referred by physicians and project enrolments
- arrange to store and transport samples
- collect research laboratory reports of patients referred by physicians
- document project data in log books for all enrolments referred by physicians
- assist physicians during field visits in physician clinics
- manage all logistics concerned with referrals from physicians
- ensure that all lab supplies are stocked at the field lab for phlebotomy services
- maintain all updated records of project data registers
- confirm residence of referred cases to ensure that they fulfill project criteria.
You should have:
- Matriculation with training in Phlebotomy. Candidates having completed Intermediate would be preferred
- at least one year of work experience as Phlebotomist preferably with knowledge of working in community settings
- sufficient knowledge phlebotomy procedures
- basic knowledge of safe injection and IV practices
- sufficient knowledge of safe disposal of sharp objects as per safety guidelines
- good communication skills.