FACULTY OF HEALTH SCIENCES, UNIVERSITY OF THE WITWATERSRAND, JOHANNESBURG
Strategic partnerships and communications officer
2 year fixed-term contract: AD09
The Wits School of Public Health (WSPH) is one of the largest Schools of Public Health in South Africa with an international reputation for its teaching programmes, conducting high quality and relevant research, community outreach and policy engagement activities. The School invites applications from suitably qualified individuals for appointment to the position of Strategic partnerships and communications officer to plan and implement communications strategies to support the scholarly endeavours of the School, and to enable the School to maintain and expand contact with its alumni.
Qualifications and experience
- Post-matric qualification (diploma or degree etc)
- Prior experience of working as a journalist, communications officer or editor
- Good project management skills
- Excellent writing skills
- Maturity, excellent communication skills and problem-solving ability
- Good interpersonal skills, ability to work in a team and to work with people from diverse backgrounds
- Experience of working in a research or academic environment will be an added advantage
- Undertake a communication assessment in the WSPH and develop communication strategies in consultation with relevant staff and the Head of School
- Ensure implementation of the communications strategies to support the academic endeavours of the School and to promote our research
- Ensure strategic communications to both internal (staff) and external stakeholders
- Develop appropriate tools and outputs for communicating public health research in both print and electronic format
- Coordinate communication for publicity and events
- Contribute to the writing of annual reports and funding proposals when needed
- Plan and implement an editorial schedule for the School’s website
- Create content – either by writing or acquiring it – and publish it to the Wits website’s content management system.
- Maintain the School’s website, and ensure linkages with the websites of its research entities (CHP, Agincourt, PRICELESS)
- Assist with increasing traffic to the School’s site, showcase quality content, and make the experience an excellent one for website visitors.
- Assist with tracking and profiling the achievements of alumni
- Liaise and communicate with donors and stakeholders (government, partners, etc) and provide feedback about the achievements of the School, the results of our research and its impact on policies
Documents to be submitted with your application:
Closing Date: Thursday 21 October 2016
- A cover letter motivating your suitability for the post
- Detailed and up to date CV with names and e-mail addresses of three contactable (3) referees,
- ID copy
- Qualification certificates
The University is committed to employment equity. Preference will be given to appointable applicants from the designated South African groups in terms of the relevant employment equity plans and policies of the University. The University retains the right not to make an appointment, to re-advertise and to verify all information provided by candidates. Please note that correspondence will only be entered into with shortlisted candidates.