Research Development Officer (Internationalisation)
The post holder will work in collaboration with the Research Development Manager (Internationalisation) (RDM) to provide a proactive and comprehensive service to support the growth of the University’s international research portfolio. The post holder will support the RDM in providing a wide-ranging service to academic colleagues, including providing expert advice and guidance to individual researchers in the identification and preparation of research proposals, delivering training and workshops, organising meetings and events, and networking and engaging with funders.
- To establish relationships with senior staff including Deans of Internationalisation, Global Research Institute Directors, Pioneer Research Programme Directors, Directors of Research, and senior academic colleagues, in implementing agreed plans for international research collaborations in target countries/regions.
- To develop and maintain a good knowledge of the capabilities, aspirations and strengths of academic colleagues and to proactively develop effective working relationships with these individuals in order to provide professional support for research proposals.
- To identify and evaluate funding opportunities to support international collaborative research activity and partnerships and to disseminate information on such opportunities through bulletins, website, etc.
- To provide proactive support to academic colleagues for the development of proposals to be submitted to identified funding schemes (e.g. Global Challenge Research Fund, Newton Fund, Gates Foundation); from initial enquiry or identification of opportunity to assessment against funding requirements to provision of comprehensive support up to grant submission.
- To design, contribute to and deliver training, workshops, networking events and other initiatives to raise the profile of international research funding opportunities.
- To identify best practice relating to winning research funding through consultation with successful applicants and members of review panels/committees and analysis of successful bids. Collate and disseminate this knowledge, in a targeted fashion, to academic colleagues. To network and engage with relevant funders and stakeholder organisations nationally (e.g. Newton Fund Network, Universities UK International (UUKi)), and where appropriate, internationally in support of gaining intelligence on and identifying funding opportunities.
- To develop and maintain a high level of knowledge of specialist funders, gathering, analysing, and disseminating and providing specialist advice on funder policy and research priorities/fore sighting information.
- To support and collaborate with the RDM on strategic and collaborative bids including planning timelines for proposal submissions, project-managing the overall proposal development and coordinating and liaising with project partners, as appropriate. To provide support for the implementation of the Managed Bid Process and other internal approval and selection processes.
- To support the RDM to produce management information that is fit- for- purpose to support the development and delivery of Institutional and Faculty Research Internationalisation Strategies. To contribute to reports and updates on international research activity to relevant internal stakeholders (e.g. Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Research, Enterprise and Postgraduate Affairs), Deans of Internationalisation, International Office). To develop and maintain the content of the research development ‘International Funding’ web pages using the University template and editing system. This will involve responsibility for ensuring key policies, processes and funding information is comprehensive, updated and made accessible to academic colleagues. To plan and organise meetings and events related to international research activities including incoming and outgoing international delegations, and funder visits. This includes providing administrative management and liaising with other professional support staff across the university.
Planning and Organising:
- Coordinating research grant applications in conjunction with academic colleagues and in line with externally determined deadlines.
- Keeping up-to-date on funding opportunities, latest funder requirements, application guidelines, and policy developments and advising academic colleagues and professional support colleagues, accordingly.
- Supporting the RDM in the implementation of the Managed Bid Process, where required.
- Organising visits from funding organisations and facilitating information and briefing sessions for researchers, in conjunction with the RDM.
- Planning and organising workshop events, training sessions and networking activities as directed by the RDM.
Resource Management Responsibilities:
- Providing advice in early stage development of budgets for externally funded initiatives, and monitoring and reporting on expenditure for strategic initiatives, as required.
- Setting and prioritising personal day-to-day activities in order to realise goals and deliverables within agreed timescales.
Internal and External Relationships:
- In conjunction with the Research Development Manager, supporting the PVC (Research and Postgraduates), PVC (Internationalisation and Engagement), Deans of Internationalisation, GRI and PRP Directors and academic colleagues to expedite the delivery of research internationalisation strategies. Working alongside academic colleagues to offer professional guidance and assistance in developing their international collaborative research activity.
- Deputising for the Research Development Manager, if required, at meetings such as Faculty Internationalisation Committees,
- Country Working Groups. Working with colleagues in the Directorate to ensure that appropriate services are offered, combined and utilised to maximise the alignment of research, the achievement of research internationalisation, the undertaking of research that is ethical and the exploitation of its results. Working closely with and within the academic community, and engaging with University Professional Support Services (e.g. Faculty Finance, International Office), during bid preparation and delivery of initiatives.
- Liaising externally with managers in external funding organisations. Honours degree (or its equivalent).
- Recent experience in a similar or related area (research/research funding/research management). Detailed and current knowledge of higher education policy issues and research funding landscape in the UK. Proven track record of providing significant support to successful funding applications.
- Evidence of strong networking and relationship building skills.
- Confident and capable user of IT at an appropriate level (e.g. Microsoft Office suite and presentation tools).
- Strong communicator both verbally and in writing.
- Proven ability to manage multiple, simultaneous projects to tight deadlines.
- Ability to work independently with a high level of self-motivation, whilst also supporting a Research Development Manager.
- Proven commitment to delivery of exceptional customer service
- Applying professional and independent judgement. 1 Willingness to travel nationally and internationally, as required.
- A postgraduate or professional qualification.
- Evidence of working with research funding organisations and successfully securing funding.
- Experience of working as part of a team.