Research Fellow Optoelectronics Research Centre
Location: Highfield Campus
Salary: £29,301 to £36,001 per annum
Full Time Fixed Term
Closing Date: Thursday 10 November 2016
We are seeking a highly motivated post-doctoral researcher of outstanding calibre to join our research program in the area of nonlinear silicon photonics. The position is funded by the EPSRC project ‘Integrated nonlinear silicon photonics: a route to smaller, faster, greener systems’ and will involve the design, fabrication and characterisation of a range of silicon fibre and silicon chip-based photonic devices. A strong background in the fabrication and optical characterization of photonic devices (optical fibres or silicon waveguides) is highly desirable, along with an aptitude for developing new experimental techniques and methodologies that relate to this novel research program.
The successful candidate will have access to top-class laboratories as well as the extensive fabrication and characterization facilities within the £120M Zepler Institute Cleanroom (http://www.zeplerinstitute.com/facilities). You will be fully integrated within our renowned research programme, and will be expected to work independently as well as with other members of the team and our external collaborators (http://www.orc.soton.ac.uk/nsp.html). A willingness to contribute to the ORC’s open and rich research environment will be highly desirable.
To be successful with your application, you will need to demonstrate:
- An awarded PhD in Physics/Engineering or equivalent*
- Experience working in a high quality research environment
- Excellent experimental research skills in the area of nonlinear photonics with a strong publication track record in high-quality international journals
- A willingness and ability to help with the supervision of PhD students
- Excellent communication and organizational skills, and a proven ability to work well within teams
*Applications for Research Fellow positions will be considered from candidates who are working towards or nearing completion of a relevant PhD qualification. The title of Research Fellow will be applied upon successful completion of the PhD. Prior to the qualification being awarded the title of Senior Research Assistant will be given.
The appointment is initially for a 2-year period, ideally starting in February 2017 or as soon as possible thereafter, with potential for further extension. Informal enquires should be directed to Prof Anna Peacock (email@example.com).
You should submit your completed online application form at www.jobs.soton.ac.uk. The application deadline will be midnight on the closing date stated above. If you need any assistance, please call Suzanne Stone (Recruitment Team) on +44 (0) 23 8059 4043. Please quote reference 790816EH on all correspondence.
More jobs like this
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Science jobs in United Kingdom
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Physical Sciences and Engineering jobs in United Kingdom
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Materials Science jobs in United Kingdom
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Physics jobs in United Kingdom