Student Support Adviser
- Full Time
Student Support Adviser
The University of Auckland is New Zealand’s leading university. We employ 5,400 academic and professional staff to support over 41,000 students, making us one of NZ’s largest employers. Our staff, students and supporters are the reason for our success. We take pride in delivering excellence in our teaching, research, and service to local, national and international communities. Come build your career in an organisation that is developing the innovators and leaders of tomorrow.
We currently have an opening for an individual with excellent customer service and mentoring skills to join our Student Support team in the Faculty of Science delivering the activity outlined in the international portfolio. This role is based in an open plan environment in the Science Student Centre and blends student-facing and administrative activity.
The team of Student Support Advisers are responsible for supporting student success through the provision of wellbeing, pastoral care and learning support. This involves academic planning and advice, learning support and mentoring combined with administrative activities including admission, enrolment, academic progress and completion checking. Applicants will have recent experience in working with international students and will demonstrate an understanding of the broad range of factors impacting academic outcomes for these students. In addition you will have strong interpersonal and communication skills, experience in implementing learning support, will be friendly and engaging, have a solid administrative background and experience providing first-class customer service.
- Identification of students at risk as well as high achieving students; creating, implementing and reviewing support plans
- Establish mentoring programmes and on-going operational support
- Monitoring progress of support plans
- Facilitate a strong, collaborate relationship for mentors and university wide support programmes
- Develop and maintain a close working relationship with central support functions in order to support students
- Providing equity advocacy and advice
- Demonstrate a high level of interpersonal skills through relationship management, advocacy and negotiation
- Work collaboratively toward continuous improvement both operationally and strategically
- Ensure actions support delivery of the service promised and at all times demonstrate excellent customer service
Key Skills and Experience Required:
- Experience in the delivery of academic and pastoral support
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience working in an environment requiring high levels of customer service delivery
- Experience and understanding of equity issues in New Zealand
- Demonstrates problem solving ability requiring judgement and interpretation
- Tertiary qualification or equivalent experience
The University has an equity policy and welcomes applications from all qualified persons.
The University is committed to meeting its obligations under the Treaty of Waitangi and achieving equity outcomes for staff and students.
Applications for this role close on 23 October 2016