Associate Professor / Professor: Production Animal Medicine (One post) - Faculty of Veterinary Scie
FACULTY OF VETERINARY SCIENCE
DEPARTMENT OF PRODUCTION ANIMAL STUDIES
ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR / PROFESSOR: PRODUCTION ANIMAL MEDICINE (ONE POST)
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The Department seeks an experienced veterinarian to join our dynamic team tasked with enhancing animal productivity and welfare, community and environmental health. This person will focus on clinical teaching and research in fields related to the health of domestic livestock species kept for production (cattle, sheep, goats, pigs, camelids, ratites).
The successful candidate will actively participate in the following areas:
- Teaching and practical training of undergraduate and postgraduate veterinary and veterinary nursing students in medicine, surgery and/or herd/flock health and management of production animal species;
- Clinical service in the Onderstepoort Veterinary Academic Hospital, surrounding community and satellite clinics, including participation in a 24-hour service;
- Postgraduate training and supervision where appropriate;
- Research and publications in scientific journals;
- Networking with relevant industry stakeholders;
- Community engagement;
- Administrative and other duties as delegated by the Head of Department;
- Academic self-development.
- A BVSc or BVMCh degree or equivalent professional veterinary qualification;
- An appropriate MMedVet degree and/or equivalent specialty board certification and/or a PhD in a relevant area;
- Registration with the SAVC as a specialist in a relevant field or eligibility for immediate registration;
- An established track record of research in a relevant field with publications in peer-reviewed scientific journals;
- Experience in teaching and mentoring of students;
Professor (Same as for Associate Professor, plus):
- A PhD in a relevant area.
- Excellent research and publication record with evidence of national and international recognition in a relevant field;
- Evidence of successful leadership and acquisition of funding for research;
- Excellence in teaching and supervision of students to doctoral level.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Proven knowledge and competence in veterinary clinical work;
- Skills in herd or population level problem investigation, management interventions and consultation;
- Research interest appropriate to the position;
- Candidates without a PhD: Commitment to obtain higher postgraduate qualification in reasonable time;
- Good language and communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills;
- Generic teaching competence including proficiency with presentation, word-processing and spreadsheet software.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Experience with relevant specialised procedures, techniques and tools, e.g. software;
- Tertiary teaching and mentoring experience;
- Exposure to research in an appropriate field.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED medical aid scheme and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za, and follow the link: Careers@UP.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact;
- Names and contact details of peer reviewers (academic and research);
- Self-evaluation which must address each of the numbered minimum requirements and required competencies. Applications that do not include these in the evaluation may be rejected.
CLOSING DATE: 26 October 2016
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Prof P Thompson, Tel: (012) 529 8290, or e-mail: email@example.com.
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 15 December 2016, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.