Senior Lecturer: Veterinary Reproduction - Faculty of Veterinary Science
FACULTY OF VETERINARY SCIENCE
DEPARTMENT OF PRODUCTION ANIMAL STUDIES
SENIOR LECTURER: VETERINARY REPRODUCTION
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The Department seeks an experienced veterinarian to join our dynamic team tasked with enhancing animal productivity and welfare, community and environmental health. This person will focus on teaching and research in Veterinary Reproduction.
The successful candidate will actively participate in the following areas:
- Teaching and practical training of undergraduate and postgraduate veterinary and veterinary nursing students in Veterinary Reproduction and related medicine;
- Clinical service in the Onderstepoort Veterinary Academic Hospital and surrounding community and satellite clinics, including participation in rendering of a 24-hour service;
- Postgraduate training and supervision;
- Research and publication in scientific journals;
- Local and international congresses;
- Networking with relevant local and international stakeholders;
- Community engagement;
- Provision of a consultation and referral service to the South African veterinary profession;
- Administrative and other duties as delegated by the Head of Department;
- Academic self-development.
- A BVSc or BVMCh degree or equivalent professional veterinary qualification;
- An appropriate MMedVet degree and/or equivalent specialty board certification and/or a PhD in a relevant area;
- Five years’ veterinary experience with three years’ experience in specialist clinical reproduction work;
- Research experience appropriate to the position, and a proven publication record in peer-reviewed scientific journals;
- Registration with the SAVC as a specialist in veterinary reproduction or eligibility for registration.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Proven knowledge and competence in veterinary clinical work in both large and small animals, with a particular focus on reproduction;
- Candidates without a PhD: commitment to obtain further postgraduate qualification in within three years of appointment;
- Excellent language and communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills;
- Proven didactic and practical teaching competence.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Experience with assisted reproductive technologies;
- Particular interest in undergraduate veterinary training.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED medical aid scheme and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za, and follow the link: Careers@UP.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact;
- Names and contact details of peer reviewers (academic and research);
- Self-evaluation which must address each of the numbered minimum requirements and required competencies. Applications that do not include these in the evaluation may be rejected.
CLOSING DATE: 26 October 2016
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Prof P Thompson, Tel: (012) 529 8290, or e-mail: email@example.com.
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 15 December 2016, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.