Senior Technical Officer: Department of Biochemistry
Department of Biochemistry
Senior Technical Officer
- General management of research laboratories;
- General laboratory maintenance and management of safe research practices;
- Administrative and financial management of research funds and budgets;
- Maintenance of laboratory inventory/inventories;
- Providing technical assistance in research and graduate student training;
- Providing technical support for undergraduate practicals;
- Providing administrative support to undergraduate courses, as well as student liaising.
- Master's degree (MSc) in Biochemistry or closely related discipline;
- Proven management experience in a research/academic environment;
- Basic knowledge of occupational safety, as applicable to a research environment/laboratory;
- Practical experience and knowledge of basic instrumentation used in a Biochemistry environment;
- Practical experience and knowledge of mammalian tissue culture techniques;
- Willingness to work with radioactive compounds and to manage the associated inventory and waste;
- Full computer literacy in basic packages such as MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint;
- Good general and scientific language skills (written, reading and verbal) in at least English.
- Proven experience of the University's financial systems;
- Proven experience in financial management;
- Keen interest in Biochemistry as discipline;
- Practical experience in molecular biology techniques (such as transfections, DNA and RNA extractions, western blots, qPCR, etc.);
- Practical experience with animal experiments;
- Good technical aptitude;
- Good human relations;
- Ability to work in a team.
Enquiries regarding job content: Prof. Erick Strauss on 021 808 5866
Enquiries regarding remuneration/benefits as well as technical assistance with the electronic application process: Human Resources Client Service Centre on 021 808 2753
Commencement of duties: 1 January 2017
Closing date: 31 October 2016
The University will consider all applications in terms of its Employment Equity Plan, which acknowledges the need to diversify the demographic composition of the staff corps, especially with regard to the appointment of suitable candidates from the designated groups.
The University reserves the right not to make an appointment.
Your application, comprising a comprehensive curriculum vitae (including the names and contact details of at least two referees), must reach the University before or on the closing date of the advertised post.
Candidates may be subjected to appropriate psychometric testing and other selection instruments.
The University reserves the right to investigate qualifications and conduct background checks on all candidates.
Should no feedback be received from the University within four weeks of the closing date, kindly accept that your application did not succeed.
More jobs like this
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Business and Finance jobs in Africa
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Science jobs in Africa
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Life Sciences jobs in Africa
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Cell and Molecular Biology jobs in Africa
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Chemistry jobs in Africa