3 days left
- Full Time
To develop and support the University’s corporate databases and business systems, with particular emphasis on the University’s
student centered administrative systems.
1. Work as part of a team to identify, develop and implement computer systems and solutions to support the University’s objectives.
2. Use appropriate technologies and applications to ensure the continuity, performance and security of the University’s Student
Information System and related services.
3. Develop and support business systems and services to agreed standards of quality and efficiency.
4. Work within teams – some of which may be cross-functional - to ensure the delivery of high quality, integrated services to users.
Lead teams engaged in projects as required.
5. Adopt a proactive approach to the identification and resolution of potential problem areas.
6. Adopt a proactive approach to the identification of opportunities for service enhancements to meet the needs of colleagues and end users.
7. Ensure the effective maintenance of information and documentation, e.g. systems specifications, disaster recovery plans,
maintenance schedules and computer programs.
8. Liaise with suppliers in the specification, installation, support and maintenance of computer systems.
9. Contribute to the development and monitoring of divisional and team strategies and plans. Maintain an awareness of relevant
University strategies and plans.
10. Present reports and results to inform decision making within relevant areas.
11. Provide advice, information and assistance to users – either directly or through the Helpdesk – to resolve problems and
maximise service quality, efficiency and continuity.
12. Carry out any other duties which are appropriate to the post as may be reasonably requested by senior management.
Planning and Organising:
1. Plan own work over the short to medium term with an awareness of longer term issues, in response to manager’s general instructions.
2. Contribute to larger projects as part of a project team.
3. Contribute to the planning and organisation of service changes with regard to their impact on the business of the University.
4. Develop appropriate work schedules in order to meet targets and/or turnaround times.
Resource Management Responsibilities:
1. Assist in the planning of resources within the area of responsibility to ensure that they are effectively managed and monitored.
2. Advise on the cost/benefit of new and existing technologies.
3. Assume delegated responsibilities as appropriate.
Internal and External Relationships:
1. Attend internal and external meetings to ensure that relevant issues are appropriately represented and reported.
2. Liaise with key contacts to ensure appropriate integration, collaboration and understanding.
3. Liaise with external suppliers, consultants and other third parties.
1. A degree with significant computing element, or equivalent qualification.
2. A minimum of 3 years’ professional development and/or support experience working in a relevant information or computing environment.
3. A minimum of 1 years’ recent experience of working with one or more Relational Database Management Systems (RDBMS) and
a thorough understanding of SQL, gained through the development and support of major business systems.
4. Experience of working in a project team in the development and/or support of a complex IT system.
5. Experience of developing business systems using at least one of the following programming languages: RDBMS 4GL, C, C++,
C#, VB/.NET, PHP, Java.
6. Good analytical and problem solving skills with a flexible approach to problem resolution.
7. Ability to communicate technical information with clarity and effectiveness.
8. Good communication skills both oral and written.
9. Ability to work in a team, but also be able to work on own initiative.
10. Good interpersonal skills.
11. Ability to work with and motivate technical and non-technical staff.
12. Must be committed to the provision and continued development of a high quality service.
13. Must be willing to work outside normal office hours on occasional basis and provide cover as requested during critical periods.
1. 2.1 or higher Honours degree in Computer Science or related discipline.
2. Experience of having worked within the MS SQL Server or Oracle RDBMS environment.
3. Experience of working with web technologies e.g. HTML, XML, CSS.
4. Experience of working with a student information system specifically PeopleSoft Campus Solutions.
5. Experience of working within HE Sector.
6. Experience of working within a structured IT environment with exposure to methodologies and frameworks e.g. Prince, ITIL.
7. Demonstrable clear understanding of relevant policies and codes of practice (e.g. systems security, accessibility).
8. Demonstrable understanding of how new technologies can be used to support the development of software applications.