Teaching Support Technician, Life and Environmental Sciences
The post holder will be part of a team of technical staff providing support for the Colleges practical laboratory teaching. A diverse programme of teaching is carried out in laboratory suites in different areas of the College, frequently supporting very large classes of students within a demanding timetable.
The post holder will work to a programme directed by the teaching timetable. Within this broad work plan the post holder will be responsible for planning and achieving their own work objectives in order to meet the very tight deadlines demanded by the timetable. They will be expected to work unsupervised for much of the time in addition to working within the teaching staff team. The post holder will have no formal supervisory responsibilities but will be expected to provide guidance and instruction to junior staff, demonstrators and students in addition to maintaining a watching brief to ensure that safe working practices are adhered to by all laboratory users.
Due to the extended day practical courses operate in, some out of normal hours working is required and the post holder would be part of a rota of staff covering this.
- • Have significant experience and good understanding of good chemical practice, good microbiological practice and aseptic technique.
- • Skilled in the use of a very wide range of precision, high-value equipment.
- • Good understanding of Health & Safety guidelines and must be fully familiar with the safe handling and storage of all laboratory materials.
- • Qualified to BTEC National Certificate standard or equivalent and will have significant experience in a similar type of environment in order to be fully effective.
- • Experience of large scale teaching laboratory environment would be desirable.
- • Good organisational skills as the post holder will routinely work under considerable pressure due to the timetable-dependent nature of the work and large numbers of students.
- • Must have a flexible approach to dealing with the demands of the timetable-dependent nature of the work.
- • Previous experience of team working
More jobs like this
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Business and Finance jobs in United Kingdom
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Science jobs in United Kingdom
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Environmental Sciences jobs in United Kingdom
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Life Sciences jobs in United Kingdom
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Cell and Molecular Biology jobs in United Kingdom