Head: Academic Programmes - Office of the Dean: University of Pretoria Mamelodi Campus
OFFICE OF THE DEAN: UNIVERSITY OF PRETORIA MAMELODI CAMPUS
HEAD: ACADEMIC PROGRAMMES
PEROMNES POST LEVEL 5
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The Head of Academic Programmes is a senior academic and member of the University of Pretoria’s Mamelodi Campus management team, and reports to the Dean: UP Mamelodi Campus with respect to all academic programmes. These include extended programmes as well as academic enrichment programmes that are offered in consultation with several Mamelodi high schools and other community partners. The incumbent would need to manage a broad range of stakeholder relationships to ensure the effectiveness of all the programmes in this portfolio.
The incumbent’s key areas of responsibility will include:
- Developing and managing the extended programmes;
- Directing, co-ordinating and developing the student support services on the campus;
- Managing the academic enrichment programmes for high school students and teachers;
- Managing the team involved in both the extended and academic enrichment programmes;
- Liaison and relationship management with a very broad range of stakeholders, including academic staff across most UP faculties, government departments, other support service departments, other universities and funding organisations.
- PhD in Science/Science Education or a closely related field;
- Eight years’ teaching experience in a tertiary institution;
- At least three years’ experience in administration or co-ordination of an academic programme;
- Teaching/involvement in extended programmes and the scholarship of teaching and learning at the first year level of mainstream programmes or in extended programmes;
- Evidence of development of curricula for extended programmes;
- Evidence of report writing;
- Publications in the field of teaching and learning in a specific disciplinary field at tertiary level.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- A good understanding of blended teaching and learning approaches;
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of science and science education or educational experience in a tertiary environment in one of the professional disciplines (e.g Health Sciences, Education, Veterinary Sciences, Economic and Management Sciences);
- Thorough understanding of the educational and other needs of tertiary level students from disadvantaged communities;
- Thorough understanding of educational challenges in the further education sector and implications for tertiary institutions;
- Good verbal and written communication skills;
- Good skills for academic planning, financial planning, staff performance management and co-ordination of all other operational aspects of academic programmes;
- Understanding of the higher education policy environment;
- Understanding of data and the use of data in decision making.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Experience and publications in the scholarship of teaching and learning in a specific discipline preferably in the basic sciences / professional degrees (Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics, Accounting or Business Management);
- Understanding of educational research management;
- Understanding of trends and developments in the area of the first year experience and students in transition;
- Proficiency in data analytics including predictive modelling.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED medical aid scheme and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za, and follow the link: Careers@UP.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact;
- Names and contact details of peer reviewers (academic and research);
CLOSING DATE: 19 December 2016
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Prof NA Ogude, Tel: (012) 842 3459 for job-related enquiries OR Ms Shila Ledwaba, Tel: (012) 420 3122 for HR-related or any other enquiries.
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 28 February 2017, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.