Manage accommodation allocation and staff of the department and the resources entrusted to it, and to provide the necessary direction by controlling, planning, initiating, co-ordinating and organising the activities and functions of student residences services in collaboration with the Residence Coordinators and different related support services
Job Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- A relevant Honors degree.
- At least 7 years’ relevant experience within a Higher Education institution of which 3 years should be at a managerial level
- Extensive relevant experience in student accommodation
- A valid drivers’ license
Key Performance Areas / Principal Accountabilities
- Advise and direct in respect of accommodation needs and the control of existing facilities
- Develop sound policy and procedures for the residences to promote harmonious living for students.
- Ensure maximum utilisation of residences during holidays for income generation.
- Provide leadership in respect of ensuring that residences support learning activities and development of students.
- Ensure effective and efficient planning for placement of students.
- Advice management on accommodation fee structure.
- Ensure effective and efficient administrative system for the residence office.
- Compile stats on room allocation
- Ensure management of student records.
- Prepare annual budget for the Residence office.
- Ensure realistic budgeting for residences.
- Ensure adherence to finance policy and procedure
- Ensure accurate record keeping of financial transaction against the budget.
- Monitoring of variances
- Liaise with the Finance Department on matters related to financial management.
- Ensure that residences are well resourced.
- Seek opportunities to improve residence system.
- Conduct needs analysis for residence to ensure relevant provision of services.
- Contribute towards acquisition of new building to increase accommodation capacity for students.
- Contribute towards negotiation of lease contracts.
- Analyse service contracts including lease agreements to ensure favourable terms to the university
- Liaison with Facility Management in respect of planning and development of new infrastructure and maintenance for residences.
- Liaise with Finance Department to ensure efficient processing of purchase requisitions, payments of invoices control and sound financial management.
- Liaise with Procurement & Services Department in respect with service requirements for residences
- Identify appropriate skills required.
- Be responsible for performance Management for staff.
- Participate in identifying training needs and career development
- Set weekly and monthly objectives
- Monitor and control adherence to disciplinary codes
- Monitor and control adherence to university policies
- Ensure equitable allocation of resources for residences
- Ensure that management of assets allocated to the office and the residences is according to the university policy and procedures.
- On regular basis arrange for asset audit in conjunction with the Asset Control Department
- Responsible for capital acquisition for the residences.
- Ensure that all the residences comply with health and safety rules and procedures.
- In conjunction with the Health & Safety residence receive relevant advice on safety matters
- Search for and liaise, negotiate, evaluate housing proposals from property owners.
- Ability to build partnerships
- Ability to manage change
- Conflict management
- Customer focus
- Project management skills
- Applied knowledge of sports administration
- Applied knowledge of student development models
- Information monitoring
- Innovation and leading through vision and values
- Good administrative and financial management skills
- Planning and organizing
- Negotiation and presentation skills
- Excellent leadership skills
- Coaching skills
Closing date 13 January 2017
The Cape Peninsula University of Technology is committed to Employment Equity and aims to attract and retain talented individuals to achieve our equity objectives and therefore, people from the designated groups, including those with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Preference will be given to applicants whose appointment contributes towards the achievement of demographic representation.