PhD studentship in Improving Efficiency of Screening and Optimizing Processes for the Development o
Ability to deposit chemical species in a complex mixture selectively and effectively onto target substrates in contact, consequently alter the surface functionality, and remove them with certain trigger mechanisms, is highly desirable for the development of ‘smart’ formulated chemical products. To achieve so, conventional ‘top-down’ approach involves synthesizing a wide range of chemicals possessing various functional groups followed by macroscopic evaluation and post examination. This could be time consuming and labour intensive depending on the size of the database and environmental factors to be examined. In order to enhance the efficiency of such screen and optimization processes for the development of innovative specialty chemicals, we would like to implement a ‘bottom-up’ approach where chemicals are developed based on quantitative information concerning their molecular interactions with the target surfaces that is not accessible by the conventional techniques. As such, characterizing the interfacial behaviour of soft matter, including both surfactants and polymers, under realistic conditions is of paramount importance to Innospec.
Tax free bursary of approx. £16,000 p.a plus tuition fees paid.
To be eligible for EPSRC funding candidates must have at least a 2(1) in an Engineering or Scientific discipline or a 2(2) plus MSc. Please email your c.v. to firstname.lastname@example.org. For more details on the Engineering Doctorate scheme please visit http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/schools/chemical-engineering/postgraduate/eng-d/index.aspx
More jobs like this
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Science jobs in United Kingdom
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Physical Sciences and Engineering jobs in United Kingdom
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Chemical Engineering jobs in United Kingdom
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Chemistry jobs in United Kingdom
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Biochemistry jobs in United Kingdom