Communications Manager (Two-year contract appointment) - Centre for the Study of Governance Innovat
CENTRE FOR THE STUDY OF GOVERNANCE INNOVATION
COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER (TWO-YEAR CONTRACT APPOINTMENT)
PEROMNES POST LEVEL 6
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The incumbent will be responsible for:
- Taking responsibility and the co-ordination of The Centre for the Study of Governance Innovation’s (GovInn) websites and social media networks;
- The development and oversight of communication strategies for GovInn in line with the strategic objectives of GovInn, and in line with UP guidelines;
- The co-ordination of the Centre’s team to ensure effective communication;
- The management of media relations, both locally and internationally, as well as the proactive engagement with external communication agencies;
- Performing the role of Managing Editor of GovInn’s chief publication, the international journal, Solutions, which includes both an online portal and a print-on-demand magazine;
- Overseeing planning and publications on an annual and ad hoc basis;
- Providing direction, input and technical advice with the regards to GovInn publications;
- Co-ordinating GovInn’s public relations strategy;
- Co-ordinating the key events organised by GovInn, especially the annual Governance Innovation Week and the various events held under the auspices of Solutions.
- Postgraduate degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in Science Communication or equivalent;
- Minimum of five years’ experience in scientific communication;
- Strong command of digital and online technologies, including web design and maintenance, specifically Wordpress;
- Proven track record in co-ordinating international publishing and inter-disciplinary research publications;
- Extensive work experience in:
- A scientific communications environment;
- The execution and co-ordination of the appropriate levels of communication material for internal/external communications, web marketing campaigns, publications, etc.
- Experience in organising and managing international events.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office and social media;
- Appropriate language and communication skills;
- Ability to interact with international stakeholders, business, media and other publication outlets;
- Management skills;
- Strategic thinking;
- Excellent ability to meet demanding targets within tight deadlines;
- Good negotiation and conflict management skills;
- Creativity and problem solving skills.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Experience in scientific communication at an international level.
The all-inclusive remuneration package for this contract position will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines.
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za, and follow the link: Careers@UP.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact.
CLOSING DATE: 17 August 2017
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Ms Kirsty Agnew, Tel: (012) 420 4178
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 31 October 2017, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.