Experimental Officer in Analytical Mass Spectrometry
- Full Time
We seek to recruit a full-time Analytical Mass Spectrometry Experimental Officer to join the Mass Spectrometry team within the Environmental Health division in the School of Geography, Earth & Environmental Sciences, College of Life and Environmental Sciences, University of Birmingham.
The Experimental Officer will provide an analytical mass spectrometry service in support of researchers and students where they will manage, conduct and administer the day-to-day operation of the mass spectrometric instrumentation in their area. This will include liaison with users and instrument companies, design and conduct of experiments, development of new methods, maintenance of instruments, line management and training of new and existing laboratory members.
A good knowledge of Health and Safety is required and the post holder will be expected to liaise and collaborate with the local Research Infrastructure Manager responsible for that area of the School regarding Health and Safety matters.
The Experimental Officer will contribute significantly to the success of research grants and student projects by providing sound advice and support in their area of expertise and developing new techniques to further support other research ventures. The post holder will have responsibility in their area to ensure the instrumentation is fully maintained and serviced avoiding down time.
Applicants should hold an upper class degree or equivalent in a relevant subject area with knowledge and practical experience of applying mass spectrometry techniques in addition to experience in GC-MS, LC-MS, ICP-MS or another MS technique.
- Degree or equivalent in relevant subject area
- Practical experience of applying the relevant skills and mass spectrometry techniques
- Substantive experience in mass spectrometry and GC-MS, LC-MS, ICP-MS or another MS technique.
- Experience of associated data analysis.
- Experience in the application of mass spectrometry to the analysis of complex chemical mixtures.
- Experience in the analysis of mass spectral data, including quantitative data.
- Ability to analyse information with a high level of accuracy and communicate effectively
- Ability to access and organise resources successfully
- Detailed knowledge of laboratory safety