Senior Lecturer: Clinical Pathology - Department of Companion Animal Clinical Studies
4 days left
- Full Time
FACULTY OF VETERINARY SCIENCE
DEPARTMENT OF COMPANION ANIMAL CLINICAL STUDIES
SENIOR LECTURER: CLINICAL PATHOLOGY
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The successful candidate will actively participate in the following areas:
- Teaching and practical training of undergraduate and postgraduate veterinary and veterinary nursing students in Veterinary Clinical Pathology;
- Clinical service in the Onderstepoort Veterinary Academic Hospital, Clinical Pathology Laboratory and surrounding community, including participation in a 24-hour service;
- Postgraduate training and supervision where appropriate;
- Research and publications in scientific journals;
- Networking with relevant industry stakeholders;
- Community engagement;
- Administrative and other duties as delegated by the Head of Department;
- Academic self-development.
- A BVSc or BVMCh degree or equivalent professional veterinary qualification;
- An appropriate MMedVet degree and/or equivalent specialty board certification;
- Registration as a specialist Clinical Pathologist Veterinarian with the SAVC, or eligibility for immediate registration;
- Three years’ general Clinical Pathology experience;
- Demonstrate the potential to become competent lecturer at undergraduate and postgraduate level;
- Demonstrate experience and/or interest in research;
- At least two peer reviewed publications as first or senior author.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Proven knowledge and competence in veterinary clinical pathology;
- Research interest appropriate to the position;
- Commitment to obtain further postgraduate qualification in reasonable time;
- Good language and communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills;
- Generic teaching competence including proficiency with presentation, word-processing and spreadsheet software.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Experience with relevant specialised procedures, techniques and tools, e.g. software;
- Tertiary teaching and mentoring experience;
- Exposure to research in an appropriate field.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED medical aid scheme and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact;
- Names and contact details of peer reviewers (academic and research);
- Self-evaluation which must address each of the numbered minimum requirements and required competencies. Applications that do not include these in the evaluation may be rejected.
CLOSING DATE: 25 August 2017
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Prof Amelia Goddard, Tel: (012) 529 8293, or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 31 October 2017, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.