External Relations Administrator
- Part Time
The External Relations Administrator post exists in order to professionally support the delivery of a complex range of School-wide administration, planning, financial and communication processes that are absolutely essential to supporting the School’s strategy and operational deliverables. Specific areas of work that the post holders and the External Relations Coordinator will support are: UG, PGT and MBA admissions, recruitment and conversion activities, UG placements, events management, corporate relations, and employability and careers services within the Birmingham Business School. The post holders would be expected to work independently and autonomously on a regular basis supporting a dynamic team that travels frequently.
The working days for the post holder would be Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays with occasional evening and weekend work.
Take responsibility for organising a range of events for Birmingham Business School, this will include working with academic colleagues, professional services staff and partners to deliver professional events to a wide range of audiences. The events calendar includes; research and consultancy activities, business engagement, academic lectures, student recruitment and admissions activities.
Work autonomously to ensure the external relations team has effective, timely and proactive administrative support across the range of activities. These duties may include; responding to student and or business enquiries, preparing documentation for both internal and external audiences, liaising with suppliers, ensuring databases and websites are up to date, compiling reports from a range of systems, carrying out market research activities and other similar duties.
- Be the first point of contact for prospective students regarding course enquiries and scholarships, as well current students for careers and employability support
- Provide administrative, secretarial and logistical assistance to managers on the External Relations team which may include diary management, making travel arrangements, liaising with suppliers, taking notes at meetings and ensuring databases are up to date
- Provide cover when needed to various reception desks to ensure all students and visitors receive an exemplary welcome and service.
- Represent Birmingham Business School at events as required
- Be a champion of the Birmingham Business School brand ensuring staff across the school are aware of the appropriate procedures for developing materials and ensure staff have the contacts they need both in the College marketing team and Creative Media department
- Establish good working relationships across the University to understand the university’s corporate objectives and plans
- Work in accordance with the data protection act, health and safety guidance and to adhere to all university policies and procedures
- Specific areas of responsibility may change from time to time in accordance with priorities of the School. The post holder may be required to undertake any other duties commensurate with the post required by the External Relations Coordinator, Head of External Relations, or other School Managers
- Some evening and weekend work will be required as part of this role
- Work to agreed specifications, time and quality standards
- Undertake tasks and activities as outlined to ensure excellent customer service standards are maintained
- Highlight problems that may affect the achievement of objectives and deadlines
- Attend and contribute to relevant meetings within Birmingham Business School and across the wider University as appropriate
- Operation of University policies and procedures across all activities
- Ensure strong communication and affiliations across the External Relations team and wider school and college teams
- Foster excellent connections with Academic staff across the Birmingham Business School
- Participate in internal and external networks for the exchange of information in relation to developing best practice in Higher Education administration
- Work as part of the external relations and wider school professional service team to plan and structure work accordingly, to ensure effectiveness and efficiency in meeting deadlines
- Work as a member of the External Relations team and contribute to the objectives of the wider Birmingham Business School and College of Social Sciences
- Undertake any other duties commensurate with the grade of this post as defined by the External Relations Coordinator, Head of External Relations, or other School Managers
Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications and Experience Required:
- Educated to degree level or equivalent, ideally in a business related discipline
- Demonstrable experience working in a customer driven environment where exposure to corporate clients and contacts was routine
- Excellent writing skills, with experience of producing written communication for a range of audiences
- Aptitude to co-ordinate events including liaison with third parties to deliver services
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office applications, with experience using customer relationship management systems and the ability to learn new software systems quickly; to support, inform and improve operational effectiveness
- Ability to work effectively in a team or on projects alone to deadline, demonstrating excellent attention to detail, interpersonal, organisational and communication skills
- Deliver and maintain exceptional customer service standards across the team, making suggestions relating to service enhancements