Bioinformatic Expert for PHB Infectiology Cluster
This function has a critical role in fostering a data analysis network between various research groups within the PHB Infectiology research cluster. The research cluster includes the University of Basel, the University Hospital Basel, the Biozentrum, the Swiss Tropical Public Health (STPH) Institute, and the Department of Biosystems Science and Engineering (D-BSSE) of the ETH-Zurich. Patient and microbial data from laboratory diagnostics and research (-omics technology) will be analyzed in various research projects with the goal to (i) connect research activities between institutions, and (ii) envision novel disease concepts and models for personalized patient diagnostics and treatment of infectious diseases. The bioinformatics expert will be working closely with clinicians and scientists from different institutions, as well as with the IT and laboratory specialists from the University Hospital Basel who are building the Biobank and Clinical Data Warehouse infrastructure needed for participation in the Swiss Personalized Health Network (SPHN).
- Bioinformatic analysis and interpretation of broad microbial data, especially -omics data such as whole genome sequencing, metagenomics, metabolomics, RNAseq, and proteomics data
- Connecting data from different research groups
- Interacting with IT specialists for implementing SPHN processes and standards in Infectiology research projects
- Working on scientific projects and studies
- Interacting closely with the other PHB Research Clusters "Oncology" and "Immunology"
- PhD and postdoc experience with multiple years in the field of microbiology and/or infectious diseases
- Demonstrated ability to perform various bioinformatics analysis, in particular in the area of whole genome sequencing, RNASeq, and proteomics
- Deep understanding of microbial evolution and mechanisms of infectious diseases
- High experience with varied bioinformatics software tools
- Enjoy working as part of a team, including other bioinformaticians
- Flexible and adaptable to a rapidly changing environment, able to work with high levels of uncertainty
- Ability to work independently and organize own workload
We offer you
- Diversified, challenging and pioneering projects in a dynamic, university environment
- Attractive conditions of employment
- Family-friendly personnel policy
- Campus at a central location with good traffic connections
This position gives you the opportunity to work at the forefront of a highly visible and strategically important research initiative of the University of Basel. The position is currently limited to 2 years.
PD Dr. med. Dr. phil. Adrian Egli (email@example.com), Head of Clinical Microbiology, University Hospital Basel, will be able to provide further information about the position by email.
Dr. Cristina Golfieri, Coordinator PHB Research Clusters, (firstname.lastname@example.org) is looking forward to receiving your complete application (motivation letter, resume/CV, reference letters if already available) in one single PDF file before 31.08.2017. Applications are processed as they are coming in and the position is to be filled as soon as possible.
More jobs like this
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Business and Finance jobs in Switzerland
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Science jobs in Switzerland
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Computer Science and IT jobs in Switzerland
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Life Sciences jobs in Switzerland
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Cell and Molecular Biology jobs in Switzerland