Laboratory and Research Technician
To support the work of the School of Chemical Engineering, in particular by taking responsibility for a wide range of analytical equipment for physical properties analysis for both research and teaching. The postholder will have a strong background in physical properties analysis. They will have specialist technical knowledge of a range of analytical equipment, they will manage its utilisation and instruct both staff, students and visitors (where applicable) in its use, and will take all necessary steps to ensure that the equipment is ready, available and safe for use at all times (including purchasing consumables, carrying out or arranging for others to carry out both routine and emergency maintenance). Some equipment may be run as a service within the School or College and the postholder would be expected to assist in this running. The postholder will contribute to research projects by collecting, analysing and interpreting data and having an input into research papers.
- Educated in a relevant scientific field to degree level or equivalent experience
- GCSE (A*- C) or equivalent in mathematics and english
- Experience in previous technical based posts would be desirable including thorough practical and theoretical knowledge of a range of analytical techniques including in the list below, please note the equipment list will adapt to support the school’s evolving research interest. While it is appreciated that this is a diverse list it would be expected that the postholder would develop knowledge in all aspects over time:
- Microscopy (Electron, Optical and Atomic-force)
- Force Measurements (AFM/ Micromanipulation)
- Particle size characterisation
- Tribology Measurements
- Micromanipulator (Nano to millimetre)
- Porosimetry & Rheology measurements
- Ability to instruct and demonstrate analytical techniques to staff and research students
- Knowledge of and basic skills (to at least fault finding level) in IT (including software packages) and electronics.
- Good knowledge of safety issues, including COSHH and Risk Assessments and to undertake electrical safety testing.
- Able to work on own initiative without supervision and also as part of a team.
- Strong desire to increase knowledge of analytical equipment, including attending training courses and relevant conferences
- Ability and willingness to undertake training in other activities and skills
More jobs like this
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Science jobs in United Kingdom
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Computer Science and IT jobs in United Kingdom
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Computer Science jobs in United Kingdom
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') General Computing jobs in United Kingdom
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Physical Sciences and Engineering jobs in United Kingdom