Research Fellow in Autonomous Systems in City Infrastructure
The University of Leeds was awarded a large EPSRC grant to explore the use of robots and autonomous systems in city infrastructure. This 5-year project commenced in January 2016. The team is formed of a consortium of the Universities of Leeds(lead), Birmingham, UCL and Southampton. You will join this team that is already producing outstanding results – e.g. we have produced the first-ever road pavement 3D printer on-board a UAV or developed a robot that can be remotely powered inside a pipe using microwaves.
You will lead the research in the following three areas:
- Use Computer Vision techniques to develop image based sensor systems for visual monitoring of infrastructure defects like cracks in pavements;
- Obtaining 3D reconstruction using techniques such as structure-from-motion (SfM) and/or laser scanning; and
- Develop techniques to identify objects, parts of objects, semantic scene regions and activities in order to facilitate navigation and task performance by lightweight UAVs; it is expected that this will include the use of qualitative spatio-temporal representations.
Holding a PhD (or close to completion) in Computer Vision or a closely allied discipline, you will have knowledge of machine learning and deep learning techniques and an enthusiastic, creative approach to research.
To explore the post further or for any queries you may have, please contact:
Raul Fuentes, Pro-Dean International and Associate Professor of Infrastructure Engineering, School of Civil Engineering
Tel: +44 (0)113 343 2282 or email: email@example.com
Anthony Cohn, Professor of Automated Reasoning, School of Computing
Tel +44 (0)11334 35482 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Faculty of Engineering is proud to have been awarded the Athena Swan Silver Award from the Equality Challenge Unit, the national body that promotes equality in the higher education sector. Our equality and inclusion webpage provides more information.
More jobs like this
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Science jobs in United Kingdom
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Computer Science and IT jobs in United Kingdom
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Computer Science jobs in United Kingdom
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') General Computing jobs in United Kingdom
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Physical Sciences and Engineering jobs in United Kingdom