Director: The Stellenbosch Institute for Advanced Study (STIAS)
For further information and to apply, click the 'Apply Online' link below.
The Stellenbosch Institute for Advanced Study (STIAS) is a high-level research facility dedicated to keeping South Africa and Africa at the forefront of international scientific developments. Initially established by Stellenbosch University, it is now a fully independent PBO Company with its own Board of Directors. It provides an environment where cutting-edge research can be focused on issues that are of special relevance to Southern Africa and to Africa as a whole. It does so by inviting researchers of international repute to work at the Institute for a concentrated period of time on carefully selected topics.
Reporting to the STIAS Board of Directors, you will be responsible for all aspects of the strategic and operational functioning as well as maintaining and achieving the mission, vision, values and goals of STIAS.
Five-year term appointment with the possibility of reappointment for a further term.
- Raising STIAS's profile in Africa;
- Positioning STIAS as the preferred research destination for scholars from all parts of the world;
- Providing strategic direction to STIAS in developing the intellectual capital of Africa, especially by shaping future generations of scholars and intellectual leaders;
- Building and maintaining constructive relationships with universities and other relevant institutions, the research community, donors, decision makers and the general public;
- Establishing and facilitating a climate conducive to optimal research;
- Responsible for internationalising the research programme;
- Overall responsibility for fundraising.
- Relevant doctorate;
- Prominent research record and a proven research profile;
- Extensive experience in the initiation and management of high-level interdisciplinary research;
- Well-established national, continental and international research networks;
- Established relations with research networks in Africa, including young upcoming scholars;
- Proven track record of successful fundraising for research;
- Record of managing finances and resources;
- Profound understanding of the strategic importance of basic research and the ability to articulate this to decision makers and potential donors;
- Ability to work constructively with scholars from different research traditions and to promote multidisciplinary research;
- Understanding the various scientific disciplines, their respective philosophical approaches and modes of operation as well as their needs;
- An entrepreneurial and innovative approach to research issues;
- Strong leadership, communication and interpersonal skills.
Enquiries regarding job content: Prof B Lategan at firstname.lastname@example.org
Enquiries regarding remuneration/benefits as well as technical assistance with the electronic application process: Human Resources Client Service Centre on 021 808 2753.
Closing date: 29 September 2017
Commencement of duties: 1 April 2018
STIAS will consider all applications in terms of its Employment Equity Plan, which acknowledges the need to diversify the demographic composition of the staff corps, especially with regard to the appointment of suitable candidates from the designated groups.
STIAS reserves the right not to make an appointment.
Your application, comprising a comprehensive curriculum vitae (including the names and e-mail address of at least three referees), must reach Stias before or on the closing date of the advertised post.
Candidates may be subjected to appropriate psychometric testing and other selection instruments.
STIAS reserves the right to investigate qualifications and conduct background checks on all candidates.
Should no feedback be received from STIAS within four weeks of the closing date, kindly accept that your application did not succeed.
For further information, visit http://stias.ac.za