Science Outreach Intern
Ecological Society of America
1990 M Street NW, Suite 700
Washington, DC 20036
Date: October 10, 2017
Title: Science Outreach Intern
Department: Office of Science Programs
Supervisor: Director, Office of Science Programs
Classification: Part-time, Temporary, Non-Exempt
The Ecological Society of America, founded in 1915, is the world’s largest community of professional ecologists and a trusted source of ecological knowledge, committed to advancing the understanding of life on Earth. The 9,000 member Society publishes five journals and a membership bulletin and broadly shares ecological information through policy, media outreach, and education initiatives. The Society’s Annual Meeting attracts 4,000 attendees and features the most recent advances in ecological science.
About ESA’s Office of Science Programs
The ESA Science Office envisions an ecological science that effectively meets the challenges of a changing world. We connect the research and management communities, support the use of science to inform decision making, and build capacity among scientists.
Purpose & Responsibilities
ESA seeks an energetic recent graduate or graduate student with strong communication and organizational skills to 1) help enhance our communication and outreach endeavors, and 2) to help manage special ESA meetings, workshops, and training events. A basic background in and appreciation for ecology, biology, and/or environmental sciences is desired.
The science outreach intern will work with Cliff Duke, Science Programs Director, and Jill Parsons, Science Programs Manager, to create outreach materials and strategies that will enhance our existing programs (such as our Sustaining Biological Infrastructure Training Initiative). The intern will also assist with logistical arrangements and communications for events that will bring scientists together on a wide range of topics, such as the sustainability of scientific data repositories. Additional duties may include taking notes, webpage upkeep, and tracking budget information. There may be opportunities to network with important scientists in a wide range of disciplines and contribute to important workshop reports.
Specific Activities for the Science Outreach Intern
- Outreach and marketing: create and refine outreach materials for Science Office programs; this will include email campaigns, flyers, website updates, liaising with ESA’s Public Affairs office regarding social media updates, and creating/editing videos.
- Communications and writing: contribute to workshop and meeting reports and presentations; liaise with workshop and meeting participants as needed.
- Organization and planning: manage onsite logistical details for events, including a/v, room setup, printed materials, timekeeping, and taking effective notes.
- Data entry: act as the point of contact for travel reimbursements; monitor and report on travel budgets.
- Graduate student or recent graduate with a strong background in communications and/or marketing
- Experience and interest in ecological, biological, and/or environmental sciences and research
- Strong organizational and prioritization skills
- Familiar with WordPress; basic HTML skills a plus
- Familiar with Microsoft Publisher a plus
- Willing to perform data-entry and other basic tasks
- Willing to learn as needed and follow directions
- Must enjoy working effectively as part of a team
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Hours are flexible, but you must be available to work a regular schedule of 8-16 hours per week in ESA’s downtown Washington, DC office during business hours (8am-6pm; M-F)
This is a paid, part-time internship based in ESA’s downtown Washington, DC office, with occasional travel to events in the greater DC area. The position is funded from December 1 - May 31, 2018 and pays $15 per hour. Please email a cover letter, and resume to Jill Parsons, email@example.com. Please put “Science Outreach Intern” in the subject line. Applications are due Friday, November 3rd. The position is open until filled.
ESA is an Equal Opportunity employer.
Apply for Science Outreach Intern
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly