Internship - Department of Paraclinical Sciences and Exotic Leather Research Centre
- Full Time
FACULTY OF VETERINARY SCIENCE
DEPARTMENT OF PARACLINICAL SCIENCES AND EXOTIC LEATHER RESEARCH CENTRE
INTERNSHIP (24 MONTH CONTRACT APPOINTMENT, COMMENCING 1 JANUARY 2018- 31 DECEMBER 2019)
PEROMNES POST LEVEL 10
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The successful candidate will have the following responsibilities:
- Register for a research-based MSc degree. The emphasis of the research project must be relevant to the focus of this post;
- Be on duty at the Faculty of Veterinary Science the number of days per week as negotiated with the Head of Department, Exotic Leather Research Centre (ELRC) and the Pathology Section;
- Perform post mortem examinations on crocodiles received by the Pathology Section under guidance of an experienced veterinary pathologist, collect appropriate specimens required to confirm a diagnosis, co-ordinate the results and draft a final report. Histopathological examination of tissue samples will form an important part of the daily routine. An experienced veterinary pathologist will be available for guidance;
- Discuss prevention and control measures with clients and stakeholders;
- Participate in the routine visits to commercial crocodile farms in South Africa and prepare farm health reports afterwards. Specific crocodile farms may also be visited as part of an investigation in case of disease outbreaks.
- Support other ELRC research projects, e.g. e-stunner, single pens, risk assessment of feeding chicken carcasses to crocodiles, crocodile nutrition, skin diseases etc.;
- Publish important diagnostic findings (e.g. disease outbreaks, etc.) as Case Reports in scientific journals;
- Attend regular meetings of the ELRC;
- Contribute to the writing of the Charter and Good Operating Practices for crocodile farming;
- Attend South African Crocodile Industry Association meetings;
- Assist with telephonic consultations;
- Assist with continuing education of veterinarians and training of commercial crocodile farm employees (e.g. e-stunner training).
- BVSc-degree or BVMCh or equivalent professional veterinary qualification;
- Registration as a veterinarian with the SAVC;
- Experience and/or evidence of specific interest in diagnostics and diseases of the Nile crocodile.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Appropriate language and communication skills;
- Good interpersonal skills;
- Good computer skills (Windows, MS Office, internet);
- After-hours availability;
- Commitment to further academic development.
The all-inclusive remuneration package for this contract position will be R180 000 per annum.
1 November 2017
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
Prof CJ Botha or Prof JG Myburgh, Tel: (012) 529 8023 / 8350
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 31 January 2018, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.