Postdoctoral Scientist in Mathematical Modelling of Malaria
The Department of Epidemiology and Public Health (EPH), within the Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute, develops and applies epidemiological, statistical and mathematical methods to advance innovation, validation, and application in the field of public health. Within the Infectious Disease Modelling Unit of EPH we are looking for a Postdoctoral Scientist in Mathematical Modelling of Malaria.
We are seeking scientists to join a multidisciplinary team working on modelling of the dynamics of malaria, in the context of international collaborations. There are many urgent issues concerning the assessment of new interventions, control and elimination of malaria that only be answered through quantitative modelling. You will be a key team member, collaborating with other researchers based in Swiss TPH and the Malaria Modelling consortium funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
We are looking for candidates with:
- Strong mathematical and statistical modeling skills;
- Strong programming skills (preferably in at least one of R, C++, or Python);
- PhD in Mathematics, statistics or related discipline. eg: quantitative epidemiology, ecology modelling;
- Expertise/background and interest in areas of infectious disease modelling, epidemiology, public health;
- Ability to initiate, develop and deliver high quality research and to publish in peer reviewed journals;
- Ability to communicate effectively in spoken and written English, with good presentation skills;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team on large research projects;
- Ability to initiate, plan, implement and deliver programs of work to tight deadlines Applicants with previous expertise in infectious disease modelling are especially encouraged to apply.
The post will be based at the Swiss TPH in Basel and the successful applicant will receive a two year contract on the Swiss National Science Foundation salary scale.
The closing date for applications is 8 January 2018.
For further information about the position please visit our website https://www.swisstph.ch/en/about/eph/infectious-disease-modelling/ or contact
Melissa Penny +41 (0)61 284 87 01 or Thomas Smith +41 (0)61 284 82 73