Lecturer / Senior Lecturer / Associate Professor / Professor (various posts) - Department of Agricu
FACULTY OF NATURAL AND AGRICULTURAL SCIENCES
DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURAL ECONOMICS, EXTENSION AND RURAL DEVELOPMENT
LECTURER / SENIOR LECTURER / ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR / PROFESSOR: AGRICULTURAL ECONOMICS (ONE POST)
LECTURER / SENIOR LECTURER / ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR: ENVIRONMENTAL AND RESOURCE ECONOMICS (ONE POST)
LECTURER / SENIOR LECTURER: AGRICULTURAL EXTENSION (ONE POST)
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The successful candidates will be responsible for:
- Teaching undergraduate (where applicable) and postgraduate modules;
- Supervising honours, master’s and PhD students;
- Conducting research and publishing articles in leading accredited journals;
- Raising funds to support existing research programmes and/or initiating new ones.
In addition to the minimum requirements listed for the relevant levels of appointment below, the successful candidate should also demonstrate innovative thinking and present new ideas on how to expand the research capacity of partner institutions in Africa in the relevant field.
- A PhD degree in Agricultural Economics / Environmental Economics / Agricultural Extension;
- Two years’ teaching and research experience.
- A PhD in Agricultural Economics / Environmental Economics / Agricultural Extension;
- Three years’ teaching and research experience in Agricultural Economics / Environmental Economics / Agricultural Extension;
- Evidence of publications in accredited journals in Agricultural Economics / Environmental Economics / Agricultural Extension;
- Evidence of successful supervision / co-supervision of master’s students.
Associate Professor: (Same as for Senior Lecturer, plus)
- A proven record of successful supervision of postgraduate students;
- Five years’ teaching and research experience;
- Recognition by peers as a researcher with high academic standing;
- A comprehensive international publication record and experience leading joint research projects in the field of Agricultural or Environmental Economics;
- A record of collaboration with local and international scientists;
- Proven experience in fundraising for research.
Professor: (same as Associate professor, plus)
- Proven graduation record of PhD students in Agricultural Economics;
- Eight years’ teaching and research experience;
- Recognition as a rated scientist with substantial international standing in Agricultural Economics;
- Evidence of designing and implementing own curriculum content.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES (at all levels):
- The ability to develop a world class research programme will count in the candidate’s favour.
- The candidate for the position in Agricultural Extension should exhibit competencies in the following areas of extension and rural development:
- Human and organisational behaviour change, decision-making and management;
- Communication for rural development, including the fundamentals of communication, individual, group and mass communication.
- The candidate for the position in Agricultural Economics should exhibit competencies in institutional and behavioural economics.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED medical aid scheme and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
15 January 2018
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
Prof Charles Machethe, Tel: (012) 420 3251
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 31 March 2018, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.