Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Mathematical/Statistics (4 posts available)
To create and disseminate knowledge at a senior level through initiating and conducting significant original research and through developing and delivering undergraduate, postgraduate and CPD programmes, as appropriate to Mathematics, both in Birmingham and overseas, particularly Guangzhou, China.
To create and disseminate knowledge through initiating and conducting original research, through publication and through developing and delivering undergraduate, postgraduate and CPD programmes, as appropriate to Mathematics. In addition, to contributing to the School through management/leadership, and enterprise activities, as appropriate, both in Birmingham and overseas, particularly Guangzhou, China.
- Demonstrable excellence in Research.
- Demonstrable excellence in the design, delivery and management of teaching and learning at the highest level.
- Demonstrable competence in Management and Administration.
An excellent national reputation and a developing international profile through significant original research work and a clear record of impact. Evidence of success under the following headings, as appropriate to the discipline: High level peer esteem as evidenced by:
- Excellent reputation in the UK and often internationally, reflected in sustained high quality output, level of innovation, impact on subject and recognition
- An excellent and sustained record of peer reviewed research publications
- Successful and sustained supervision of doctoral students to completion
- Substantial and sustained research income generation, e.g. through research grants, contracts, research consultancy or other external funding
- Sustained high value impact knowledge transfer and enterprise that is of manifest benefit to the College and University
Learning and teaching requirements
An excellent teaching profile and performance in terms of both impact and quality. The teaching quality demonstrated to be informed by an appropriate level of scholarship. Evidence of success under the following headings:
- High national reputation for the development of teaching and learning excellence within the discipline
- Successful and sustained use of a range of appropriate teaching methods, and assessment strategies that promote high quality learning, including learning that is flexible, distinctive and current and stimulates learners’ natural curiosity
- Significant and sustained contribution to one or more of the following: strategic development of new programmes; approaches to learning; the development of learning resources
- High quality and sustained contributions to fostering excellence in teaching activities more widely, i.e. in the School or College and/or externally
- Track record of substantial and sustained high value impact on the enhancement of the student experience, and/or employability
- Mentoring and expert advice which develops the skills of colleagues in teaching and in fostering learning
Management and administration-related requirements
Demonstrated significant achievement in management and administration-related activities, which may include leadership of activities/initiatives. Evidence of success under the following headings
- Successful and sustained performance in significant administrative/managerial role (s) (e.g. exams officer)
- Significant and sustained high quality innovative contributions to the management/administration of the School/College or University
- Successful and sustained contribution to the corporate life of the School/College/University, displaying willingness to contribute actively to committees, collaborative teaching and administrative tasks
- Normally, a higher degree relevant to the research/teaching area (usually PhD) or equivalent qualifications
- Demonstrable excellence in the design, delivery and management of teaching and learning at the highest level, or convincing evidence of potential for such excellence.
- Extensive scholarship within subject specialism and proven ability to manage research
- Skills in managing, motivating and mentoring others successfully at all levels
- Experience and achievement reflected in a growing reputation
- Extensive experience and demonstrated success in planning, undertaking and project managing research to deliver high quality results
- Extensive experience of applying and/or developing and devising successful models, techniques and methods
- Experience and achievement in knowledge transfer, enterprise and similar activity
- Ability to design, deliver, assess and revise teaching programmes, developing material as required
- Extensive experience and demonstrated success in developing appropriate approaches to learning and teaching, and advising colleagues
- Experience and success in knowledge transfer, enterprise and similar activity that enhances the student experience or employability