Science Faculty Member
Department: School of Arts and Sciences
Duty station: Naryn, Kyrgyz Republic or Khorog, Tajikistan
Deadline: 12 February 2018
The University of Central Asia (UCA) was founded in 2000 as a private, not for profit, secular university through an International Treaty signed by the Presidents of the Kyrgyz Republic, Tajikistan, and Kazakhstan, and His Highness the Aga Khan; ratified by their respective parliaments, and registered with the United Nations. The Presidents are the Patrons of the University and His Highness is the Chancellor. UCA’s mission is to promote the social and economic development of Central Asia, particularly its mountain communities, by offering an internationally recognised standard of higher education, and enabling the peoples of the region to preserve their rich cultural heritage as assets for the future. UCA brings with it the commitment and partnership of the broader Aga Khan Development Network. For more information: www.ucentralasia.org.
Summary of the Position
The School of Arts and Sciences at UCA is seeking Science Faculty Members to teach at one of its undergraduate campuses, either in Naryn, Kyrgyz Republic or Khorog, Tajikistan. This individual is expected to have an active involvement in the development, planning, preparation, and undertaking of all academic upgrading initiatives related to Science instruction in both the preparatory and undergraduate programme. They will also be expected to teach small groups of students from Central Asia by engaging them in problem solving along concrete examples and applications to abstract ideas.
Central to the vision of UCA is to create an outstanding teaching and research institution that excels in the generation and application of knowledge. Academic programmes combine the student centered environment of a liberal arts college with the intellectual excitement of being at the frontiers of knowledge offered by a research university. The language of instruction for undergraduate studies is English, with a requirement that all undergraduate students be fluent in their native language and Russian. We are seeking someone committed to teaching and intellectually inquisitive.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The Science Courses at UCA explore two overarching concepts: the scientific method, and mountain environments. These overarching concepts are developed via a number of themes including water, earth, fire, air, colour, limits and limitlessness, exploring the solar system and automata. These themes unify topics among the three sciences of chemistry, biology and physics, and also thematically connect Science with the other first semester courses of the preparatory programme including Math and English which explore these elements in their own way. The UCA’s preparatory science curriculum incorporates practice-based learning by allotting a specific amount of time for students in the lab. Chemistry, Physics and Ecology are offered in the undergraduate programme (3rd year).
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Experience (5+ years) in teaching science (biology, chemistry, physics) to high school, community college and/or university students
- Experience teaching ecology would be an advantage
- Some experience in developing and delivering training modules to other teachers, tutors, mentors and/or developing science curriculum
- Professional familiarity with Central Asian secondary and post-secondary education landscape would be an asset; and Experience managing student projects.
- Native-like English is a must; and
- Advanced Russian and some knowledge of Kyrgyz, Tajik or Kazakh would be an advantage.
- A Master’s Degree from an internationally recognised university in science or a related discipline;
- Teaching Certification from an internationally recognised university would be ideal; and PhD from an internationally recognised university would be an asset.
- The Science Faculty Member will report to the Dean of UCA School of Arts & Sciences.
You should be prepared to move to Central Asia by June 2018 or earlier for acculturation and to prepare for teaching. Teaching at the undergraduate campus in Khorog, Tajikistan is also expected.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
More jobs like this
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Science jobs in Tajikistan
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Life Sciences jobs in Tajikistan
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Cell and Molecular Biology jobs in Tajikistan
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Physical Sciences and Engineering jobs in Tajikistan
- £30,000 - £39,999 Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') Physics jobs in Tajikistan